Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a Dana 44 from a 89 Rc into my 82 w150. It has the c.a.d. setup. I have 'shift on the fly' and this axle was full time 4wd. I took out the full time hubs and installed the automatic ones from my '82 axle. My question is, will my automatic hubs work for this setup?, or will I have to flip my c.a.d. box to permantly lock it and get manual hubs. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think your confused which is confusing me. Your 82 had full time 4x4? It shouldn't. It should have a np205(or 208?) transfer case if I'm not mistaken. Your truck has a 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive setting correct? I am not to knowledgeable when it comes to axles but aren't the outer automatic locking gears in both axles the same unless on set had manual locking hubs? The only difference with CAD i think is that it senses which tires needs to get power to have better "traction" so to speak. If you lock the CAD it then makes both tires in the front spin when in 4 wheel drive. 

·
2013 Ram 1500 2014 Challenger SXT
2,276 Posts
JonDanks said:
I think your confused which is confusing me. Your 82 had full time 4x4? It shouldn't. It should have a np205(or 208?) transfer case if I'm not mistaken. Your truck has a 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive setting correct? I am not to knowledgeable when it comes to axles but aren't the outer automatic locking gears in both axles the same unless on set had manual locking hubs? The only difference with CAD i think is that it senses which tires needs to get power to have better "traction" so to speak. If you lock the CAD it then makes both tires in the front spin when in 4 wheel drive.
I don't know anything about auto hubs, but the cad unit engages the front axle for 4 wd, it does not lock both sides.
I would assume though, that you would still have to lock the cad for it to work, if you don't have a way for the vacuum signal to operate it.
I'm sure someone else will clarify further for you.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
The automatic hubs engage with the torque of the front axle being driven.  If it were me, I'd pull them back off and throw them as far as you can.  To say that they are unreliable is the understatement of the year.  If you swapped in a CAD axle but do not have the rest of the system to actuate it, you are going to have to lock the CAD unit.  Once locked, it will act just like the original axle in the '82 with the automatic hubs or you can swap the auto hubs for a manual locking hub.  The automatic hubs were the first attempt at making the system "shift on the fly" and was only used for a few years.  In late '84 the CAD axle was introduced and worked pretty well until the truck gets some age on it and the components are allowed to decay.  The two together is overly redundant but should work if all of the CAD system was there.  But again, I'd toss the auto hubs yesterday, lock the CAD, swap in a set of Warn manuals and never look back.

·
Registered
29,389 Posts
lock the CAD and put the manual hubs in it and be done with it

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha sorry for all the confusion. I don't have the funds for manual hubs, so should I just lock the c.a.d. box and throw the full time 4wd flanges on until I can afford them? And no, the '82 dana had the auto hubs, and the '89 had the full time flanges. I'm thinkin I'm just gonna flip the c.a.d., and put the flanges back on and just run it full time 4wd. The t-case has 2hi, 4hi, N, 4lo, so that means in 2hi the front axles and diff will turn also?

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
You can either lock the CAD and put on some sort of locking hub, either the auto hubs for now or a set of manual hubs, or you can leave the drive pucks in and add the rest of the CAD system to make the axle work.  I would not lock the CAD with the pucks in as the axle would be locked all the time, even on pavement.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK. I've decided I'm going to lock the c.a.d. box and leave the auto hubs until I can get ahold of some manual ones. Thanks for all the advice guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.