Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got just a simple question about the dana 44 front in my crew. I wanna put an EZ locker in the front to get me by for now til I can afford to get me a dana 60 front with an ARB. I know I have to pull the whole carrier out to knock out the center pin out to pull the main shaft pin out so I can get the spider gears out. What I wanna know is do I need to repattern the gears when reinstalling the gears? I don't think I need to cause I won't be changing anything such as the bearings or the shims between the bearings and carrier housing. So I think I should be able to just put it back in and retorque the bolts right?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
RAMMAN4 said:
I've got just a simple question about the dana 44 front in my crew. I wanna put an EZ locker in the front to get me by for now til I can afford to get me a dana 60 front with an ARB. I know I have to pull the whole carrier out to knock out the center pin out to pull the main shaft pin out so I can get the spider gears out. What I wanna know is do I need to repattern the gears when reinstalling the gears? I don't think I need to cause I won't be changing anything such as the bearings or the shims between the bearings and carrier housing. So I think I should be able to just put it back in and retorque the bolts right?
matt,
just to be on the safe side, you might just run a test pattern before you pull carrier and after reinstalling the new one just to make sure they are still setup the same, if they are then no worries, if not then you can reset them while you still have things accesible

eric

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
If you're truely serious about swapping in a Dana 60 w/ an ARB, then I would suggest you don't waste the money on upgrading your current Dana 44 with an EZ locker.

While an EZ locker in the front will improve traction, it will also make steering difficult and promote axle, stub, or u-joint breakage.

If you plan to keep your current axle for awhile before you buy your replacement '60, then go with an ARB in the '44. This way you will have steering capability and reduce axle breakage by turning it off.

Ed

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm planning on keeping the dana 44HD for awhile til I can afford to get a dana 60 front. I just can't justify spending $650+ for an ARB twice.

·
Premium Member
2,688 Posts
Matt, dont listen to Ed. put the ez locker in. You have hubs, right?

on the setup, just make sure you put the carrier bearing caps back in where they came from. Do you have a dial indicator? it would probably be good to check your backlash when your done.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i also think a EZ-locker is a good budget locker in the front axle.....IF you have locking hubs........

also, alot of the time you don't have to remove the carrier from the housing to install a lunchbox locker..........it all depends on if you can get the cross shaft out.....some (depending on gear ratio) hit the ring gear, some don't hit......you can leave it in if thats the case............

SO, if you must remove it, i use a big screw driver to pry the case back and forth (wedge the screw drive between the bearing cap and case) if it don't have any left/right movement, then you be able to put it back together the way you took it apart........

one more thing..........lunchbox locker work best and longest in a new carrier.......(if you case i worn, where the spinder and sidegear fit.........) the locker don't stay "square" and will wear the case out even faster than normal.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just one more question about the dana 44 axles. Do gears interchange between front and rear axles? What about carriers and limited slips? I find alot of gears and limited slips out of the rear of jeep dana 44s, but I'm not sure if they will interchange with a dodge front dana 44.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone?

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
RAMMAN4 said:
Just one more question about the dana 44 axles. Do gears interchange between front and rear axles? What about carriers and limited slips? I find alot of gears and limited slips out of the rear of jeep dana 44s, but I'm not sure if they will interchange with a dodge front dana 44.
For the most part yes, however if you install reverse rotation gears in your standard rotation axles, you'll have the gears turning on the coast side which is the weaker side (Aprox. 20% weaker) You'll need the standard rotation gear set.

And let me clairfy my previous answer. You still have the weaker Dana 44 axle, and I know you want greater traction. Lockers such as an EZ locker might be cheaper to buy, but if you're breaking parts on an axle you have to keep for awhile, you aren't gonna save money. My first suggestion is to not install an EZ locker because even the smaller chunk of change you plan to spend for it will be wasted when you replace the axle with a Dana 60 later. And what if you don't replace your Dana 44? You may have greater traction, but you'll have little steering control and your axle is still prone to breakage.

Yes you could unlock a hub, but this won't reduce axle breakage on the axle thats still engaged because now you're sending all of the torque from the front drivetrain thru the single axleshaft (On an axle that inherently weaker to begin with) and unlocking a hub reduces traction, defeating the intent you had to begin with when you installed the EZ.

An open differential has it's disadvantages, but in a front steering axle it's a better diff if you do alot of steering in difficult terrain. This is why I later suggested installing the ARB in your Dana 44. Granted, it's more expensive but for the same reasons you plan on installing one in your Dana 60 when you get one, the ARB will help let the weaker Dana 44 live until you replace it, and BTW having the ARB will make it more sellable, you're likely to recoup the cost of the unit if you sell the entire axle with it inside. You won't sell a dime-a-dozen Dana 44 w/ EZ locker for as much.

Ed

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
dana 44s use shims between the bearing and carrier so as long as you keep the races and caps on the same sides there will be no change in your preload nor your endplay, the crossshaft pin does like you said use a roll pin so it must be removed to access it, if i were in your position and you already planned on changing in out soon i would weld it personally, it is just a 44 and carriers are a dime a dozen, your a welder so i know you can weld it not to break, you have the same chance of breaking axles with welded or with lockrite,

as for carriers yes they are the same but watch for case breaks, like said above there is a viper 44 which is different and a reverse 44 with ttb in fords but you wont see many of them around compared to generic 44s,

jamie

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the carriers/LSs from a jeep dana 44 rear would work and the ones from a viper 44 wouldn't. Right? And I know that reverse rotation gears won't interchange. Does the case break for dana 44s apply to all dana 44s including front and rear axles?

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
yes, matter of fact i gave madzooki a jeep carrier which now resides in jaamzg s ramcharger, they interchange fine, all of them have the same case break. as far as sections go, all d44s have same, all viper44s are same ect ect.

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Jamie, Matt, anyone...I need some gears for my 44HD and Dana 60 rear. I have 4.10's now. Looking for some help for the 44's. Any ideas or suggestions.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i dont have any thing taller than 410s right now. at least not for the 60, matt got the last 60 r and p i had, they 44 ring and pinion are cheap. abbout 120 or so, the 60s are around 160 or so. still not too bad to regear, only thing is you need to change carriers on both so that could be costly

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ebay. You can find them on there for about $50 a set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts