Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 85 RC with a 318 2bbl and an 727 trans. its all stock.
the front is a CAD operated Dana 44
the rear is a 9-1/4 with an auburn gear.
Ratios are 3.2s

i have an 82 with the same setup only the front axle is a non-CAD axle with Automatic Locking Hubs.

now i have a Dana 44 from a 73 AW-150. it is a 5 by 5.5 lug pattern (i know cuz i used its wheels an tires on my RC when i needed a spare) an it has drum brakes.

now here is the deal.

1. the 73 D44 has a set of nice warn hubs. can i put those on my 82 an save my Auto lockers as backups?

2. a JY deal will net me an 81-84 Non Cad D-44 for my 85 RC. the deal is 250$ for the complete axle from an 81-84 Truck and a Tailgate and a Liftgate from a 70s RC (future project!!!) OR!
150$ for just the Axle Tube minus the shafts and knuckes.

now i believe the knuckles and rotors should bolt up to a Non Cad axle. BUT can i use the Axle shaft from the 70s Dana 44 that are in a 5x5.5 pattern? and if i go this route i can use my Auto locking hubs or warn hubs on my 85 RC which is my wifes daily driver
a big plus is i get rid of the CAD axle! an run a more reliable less vaccuum reliant system.

the dowside is i have a few axles to bust loose an alot of work!

G

·
willy J said:
i have a 85 RC with a 318 2bbl and an 727 trans. its all stock.
the front is a CAD operated Dana 44
the rear is a 9-1/4 with an auburn gear.
Ratios are 3.2s

i have an 82 with the same setup only the front axle is a non-CAD axle with Automatic Locking Hubs.

now i have a Dana 44 from a 73 AW-150. it is a 5 by 5.5 lug pattern (i know cuz i used its wheels an tires on my RC when i needed a spare) an it has drum brakes.

now here is the deal.

1. the 73 D44 has a set of nice warn hubs. can i put those on my 82 an save my Auto lockers as backups?

2. a JY deal will net me an 81-84 Non Cad D-44 for my 85 RC. the deal is 250$ for the complete axle from an 81-84 Truck and a Tailgate and a Liftgate from a 70s RC (future project!!!) OR!
150$ for just the Axle Tube minus the shafts and knuckes.

now i believe the knuckles and rotors should bolt up to a Non Cad axle. BUT can i use the Axle shaft from the 70s Dana 44 that are in a 5x5.5 pattern? and if i go this route i can use my Auto locking hubs or warn hubs on my 85 RC which is my wifes daily driver
a big plus is i get rid of the CAD axle! an run a more reliable less vaccuum reliant system.

the dowside is i have a few axles to bust loose an alot of work!
Let me see if I can answer some of these.

IIRC the drum brake front axles used external hubs. If so they won't work. If in the off chance they are internal hubs they should fit

You need to measure the axle shafts to be sure. I have seen internal axle shafts that vary in legnth by an 1" or so.

Yes the knuckles will interchange between axle housings

· Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
would a picture help GMule?
ill snap it off after work tommorow. someone mentioned spline count? ring a bell or whistle?

thanks though!

i think they are internal hubs. i had to use my allen wrenches to get the dial off. then a snap ring inside circling the shaft. an another ring on the inside diameter holding the hub gear on to the spline of the axle. an then my special dana 44 huge socket with the 4 little teeth inside to get the lock nut an washer an other nut off. an then after that i got the drum off.

here is the hub on axle

Attachments

· Premium Member
2,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here is the knuckle

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.