Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
what parts are you wanting to use? ring and pinion in a cad axle? carrier axle shafts?
carrier and ring gear should work short side axle shaft should work.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
There are quite a number of versions of the Dana 44, many parts will not readily interchange depending on which axles you are using.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
8,452 Posts
Niether axle shaft will work, they are entirely different lengths.

If you put a regular long side shaft in a CAD axle, you'd have a major oil leak in that tube I believe. There is a seal change on the CAD axles.

What you really need is the housing and axle shafts from a '75-'84 Dana 44. These should be the same width (or close) to your current axle, but do not have the CAD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's the deal have a dana 60 rear with 410 and it's in 87 Ramcharger but have matching 71 8 lug dana 44 in good shape king pins rebuilt but mounts diffrent than 87 front but also have a 8 lug cad 44 but not in as good shape looks like king pins could be rebuilt and has 35?so what should I do? Can I switch carrier? Is the cad weaker 44 axle

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Most Dana 44s are about the same strength (With a few exceptions, such as the aluminum Dana 44 used in Jeeps)

There are a few things to look out for when using a Dana 44. Many 70s Dodge trucks used a full time 4wd system and they tended to use unit hubs. These unit hubs are fine in stock applications but if you run oversize tires on off set rims, your hubs will live a short and miserable life. Since a unit hub is designed for fulltime use, they cannot be disengaged

The CAD axles used in the 80s had regular hubs that contained a fulltime flange, but had a CAD unit to engage and disengage 4wd. The regular hubs can be easily converted to use lock out hubs, and they will handle oversize tires on off set rims better than the unit hubs. To make lock outs work on a CAD axle, you should permently lock in the CAD.

Some say that the axle housing on a CAD axle tends to be weaker and more prone to bending. I don't see them as being weaker than a non-CAD axle, as I've seen non-CAD axles get bent as well. You can always add a truss for greater peace of mind.

One thing is, very, very few Dana 44s had kingpins. Nearly all use ball joints. The Dana 60 has kingpins.

If the axle that has different mounts came from a Chevy, they will work if you slightly spread the springs. Any axle from a Ford, or Jeep will likely be too different, and if the axle is from a Ford, they use reverse rotation gear sets. These will not work if you try to install it into a standard rotation axle. BTW you're better off not using used gears if you can avoid it.

Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts