Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever installed the powertrax lockright in a dana 44 cad. I need some installation tips. I'm not sure if the axles need to be pulled in the dana 44 in order to remove the pinion and side gears. I have been told that they need to come out. I'm looking for some ideas here. Thought someone had already been there and done that. Help would be greatly appreciated. The install on the 9 1/4 was a real piece of cake.
Thanks turbo ;D This is an 85 r/c 318 dana 44 cad with 321 gears. ( Yea I know they will be next)

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
I'd say the axles are gonna have to come out....no matter what axle it is. The guts of the locker won't fit inside the carrier if the axles are still in there.

I know there is no freakin way to do the install on a 9 1/4 axle without pulling the axles out at least 1 1/2" or so.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the 9 1/4 actually you only need to push the axle in when the pinion pin is removed so the c clips can be removed. When the pinion pin is removed the pinion gears turn out push the axle in about 1/4 " the c clips fall out remove the side gears and install the locker, C clips and pinion shaft and your done. Thats it there was enough room to do it all didn't even remove the wheels from the truck. 30 to 45 minutes and your on the road. I'm just not sure on the dana 44. Thanks turbo ;D

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, on mine, yes you have to push the axles in to get the c-clips out, but they have to go back out to get the rest of the locker in.....the gear I have may have something to do with it tho, but the instructions say to push them out no matter what gear you have.

NO, you don't have to remove the wheels, but you will need to move the axles out enough so that you can't see the axle shaft end inside the carrier.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't pull mine out that far I didn't pull them out at all.... It may be the carrier you have for the 4:56's Do you have a dana 44 up front? Did you have to pull the axles to install the trac-loc ? ..... Is it up front?

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
yes, I did. A trac loc is diff...and yes, the axles have to be out for that one.
I guess yall are just better than me...I've always had to push trhe axles out to get the locker back in....but then again, maybe the 4.56 gear is thicker and that's why. It's a stock carrier.

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know what the axle end play is the locker fell within the lockright tolerance So the end play between the c clip and pinion shaft should be much the same right? ;D

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
there are 2 diff c clip thicknesses....and yes, you should not have used it, but since mine is a 79, I had to.

Tell ya what...you send me the shims you didn't use, and I will send you a brand new pair of c clips for your truck. I had got them to see if I coudl use them, but I can't. I can use the shims tho....fair deal ??

·
Premium Member
4,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They aren't doing me any good setting in the box with the side gears that I removed. IM me your address and I'll get them in the mail to ya. They are about 0.050 thick 1.610 OD and 1.315 ID with my old calipers. Is that what your looking for? Do you need the powertrax installation stuff? I have that also.
turbo

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
you are talking about the shims that sit right against the c clip..right ??? The ones that are only needed withthe old style c clip....I don't think mine were that thick or that small, but I only measured the old ones, which were in peices.

I seem to remember mine were about 40-50 thou thick, and were about 1 1/4"-1 1/2" od and probably 3/4"-1" or so ID.(I'm guessing here). They sit against the c clip and inside the coupler that covers the end of the axle shaft.

What installation stuff ? I have all the books and instructions.....I just figured I can't use the c clips I bought, and you don't need the shims, so maybe we could swap, that way we'd both have spares.

If ya don't mind sending them, then go ahead...I'll get the c clips off to you too.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Because it's not a conventional C-clip axle, yes, the axleshafts do need to be pulled out some.
That particular D-44 does however have an "E-clip" holding the driver's side inner axleshaft in only. You'll see that's it's different, and why it's not a c-clip. It doesn't just fall out, you'll have to pry it off the shaft. The pass side doesn't have this lovely feature.
The whole carrier must come out, because the the cross shaft won't slide past the ring gear. Even with the 3.23 gears, I had to pull the diff to get the cross shaft out past the ring gear. I grinded the toes of 2 of the teeth, and then the shaft would slide in/out when assembled. Did you get the hardened Powertrax made cross shaft?
Hope this helps,
Mike

1 - 20 of 30 Posts