Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my 73 power wagon and I have got a hold of knuckles out disc brake setup out of a CAD 80's truck. So I have a couple questions regarding the swap. I think I just use my inner axles right? Obviously there is no way I am able to use the cad axle. I also need to know if I need a disc brake master or if it is a proportioning valve that would need changed. Any other tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
yup your inner's and YES on the master and the combi/proportioning valve , you need both

Reactions: Kuhndog

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup your inner's and YES on the master and the combi/proportioning valve , you need both
Ok cool. I am having a hard time finding a replacement proportioning valve. I would rather have a factory part rather than adjustable. I'll have to keep searching on that. Also do I look for a tin grille disc brake master or does that matter?

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
If the parts are from an 85 to 87, or 88, check the driver side spindle. The Early CAD axles do not use a spindle bearing inside the drivers side spindle. If one is missing (They use a spacer, that looks like a bearing that lost its needles), You will need to add one.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
the newer ones are better because the combi valve is mouted on the master in a neat little package 1990 and newer dodge truck -dakota

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the parts are from an 85 to 87, or 88, check the driver side spindle. The Early CAD axles do not use a spindle bearing inside the drivers side spindle. If one is missing (They use a spacer, that looks like a bearing that lost its needles), You will need to add one.

So what would I buy for then? Just a 80-84 bearing?

·
Administrator
60,205 Posts
So what would I buy for then? Just a 80-84 bearing?
A spindle bearing for a D44 (70's to 90's). It has been the same for most disk brake D44s that I know of except for Dodges 70's full time D44. SBK1 is the part number to get the kit with the bearing and the seals.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A spindle bearing for a D44 (70's to 90's). It has been the same for most disk brake D44s that I know of except for Dodges 70's full time D44. SBK1 is the part number to get the kit with the bearing and the seals.
Awesome thank you!

·
Registered
29,099 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking for parts and I can not find a proportioning valve anywhere. No options at all. Also where do I look to get new joints for the inner axle where it meets the knuckle.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Summit racing has generic prop valves.

Ujoints are widely available. Normally I order thru rockauto.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Most generic prop valves are a copy of chevy stuff. I've so far been able to find 91-95 dodge aluminum ones (used) quite easy. I ordered a generic disc/disc variant onine so I'm ready for a rear disc swap.

Its a simple device; don't overthink it too much. Your steering is shared with chevy, and your rear brakes are shared with Ford.

I also buy cheap ujoints (never spicer, lol) and grease them regularly. Not causing me any trouble.

·
Registered
29,099 Posts
I also buy cheap ujoints (never spicer, lol) and grease them regularly. Not causing me any trouble.
IF you actually maintain your truck , grease it like the cheap &[email protected]& above , then buying the budget joints actually makes since , but ONLY for the D-shaft u-joints , l will never use anything but the Spicer joints for the Axle joints

1 - 20 of 21 Posts