Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the 8 lug dana 44 with factory lockouts use the same bearing design as the fulltime dana 44's ?? And is it the same spline count ???

I have come across a 72 d200, d44 front, d60 rear, 4.10's, 4 spd, 318, divorced 205 for a decent price, but am wondering if the front axle will be worth it. The body is shot....and I mean shot.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Not even close to the same bearing design. The ft4wd 44's use the unit bearings, the '72 44 (drum brakes btw) uses a standard sprindle and two tapered roller bearings per side with 19 spline outer stubs. You can swap the knuckles out onto your ft4wd 44 housing, but you will need to keep your ft4wd inner shafts. The '72 44 is about 1.5" wider than your ft4wd 44 with the diff offest slightly closer to the center, also the '72's pinion angle is very, very low. It's a worth while conversion, I've done it, the 12" drum brakes aren't that bad. Of course '80-'93 knuckles and spindles are prefered since they have disc brakes, but are other wise *nearly* identical to the '72 knuckle and spindle design.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmmm...sounds to me like it ain't worth it.......don't want drum brakes in front, and I would need the 8 lug stuff to have matching rims all around

1 - 3 of 3 Posts