Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on my 87 dakota with a 3.9 v6 the exhaust is just rotten from tip to tail.The oxygen pipe to the cat broke off, the muffler has some pinholes,and all of the exhaust tubing has some small pinholes as well.It currently has a really  restrictive exhaust in terms of diameter because its only a single 2" with less than stellar factory bends.I am wondering if any of the later dakotas would have a single 2.5" system that could fit under the truck without too much work?Other than that I might just take it to the local exhaust shop and have them rape me with a new 2.5" exhaust system.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I just put stock exhaust replacement pipes and muffler from NAPA on mine.  It's a bit loud for a V6, I think NAPA superceded the muffler part number to the V8 number, but it's not bad.  The stock exhaust definitely flows more than the 3.9L needs in stock form.  For what it's worth, mine is a bone stock '94 3.9L 2WD regular cab longbed.  The exhaust on my truck is listed as different than the older models, but I don't know how much different they are.  Possibly just hanger locations, or it could be emissions related.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I dunno…. the one on my 96 has been slowly falling apart... has no cat anymore either.. awwww damn. but literally falling apart behind that point. Plans are to take it to the local corner exhaust shop and see whether they can bend up a set of true duals for it from the manifolds back...… once I get the bodywork done.
Oh, both of my Dakotas are V8s.  (currently a 92 and a 96, have had an 89, 90, 93, 94 Dakotas, over the years.... miss the 93 the most... V8/stick--- oh yeah, the stick was added by me) 
92 still has the cat but its getting rattley.  might have to do something about that, too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.