Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed the shock shafts on my front shocks on my 93 dakota were gold/blue/black so they were in need of replacement so i ordered the parts and set about installing them today.While I was inspecting everything else up close I noticed both outer CV boots are torn and both of the joints are pretty much dry.Normally,I would just reboot the axles but they most likely wont last long after running dry for who know how long.What is your collective wisdom on what CV are good and what ones are trash?For subarus and other imports 9/10 times your better finding a used OEM axle from the junkyard with a good boot and repacking the grease than using ANY aftermarket axle,new or remanufactured. I'm building this truck to be a great DD/camping vehicle so everything needs to be reliable and I would rather pay more for a good axle and fix it once rather than constantly change "lifetime" warranty axles.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
A very long time ago, before the SAS and cab swap. I had the same problem, and bought new half shafts, both sides. I don't remember where I got them, but I know they were all new, not rebuilt and they weren't chinese.

Ed

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
What is your collective wisdom on what CV are good and what ones are trash?
Dealing mostly with domestic and suzuki CVs in the last 20 years... in my experience, the joints basically never wear out under normal service if the boot stays intact. Once they tear, the loss of grease and added contaminants kill them quickly.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
u2slow said:
Dealing mostly with domestic and suzuki CVs in the last 20 years... in my experience, the joints basically never wear out under normal service if the boot stays intact. Once they tear, the loss of grease and added contaminants kill them quickly.
Yep, and the driver side outer is torn but it still has grease and the passenger side outer is torn at the axle end and its as dry as a bone.So I was thinking of rebooting the driver side, but I have no idea how long the passenger side would hold up with it being ran dry for who knows how long.The kicker is both inner boots are still good, but they arn't soft and elastic anymore so its only a matter of time until they tear too.So what your saying is I should try to find some good axles at the junkyard?

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
I would look at the dry joint well, if there is rust, and or lots of radial play, then I would replace it ASAP. If its just dry, and dusty, You might get more life out of it by flushing well, with something like WD40, and grease them the best you can (Get one of those needle grease gun adapters), and reboot.

I would still plan on replacing the dry side in the next few years. Really depends on how much driving you do. If it is not a daily driver, you may get many years, a daily driver, I would plan on replacing this summer.

There is many opinions, but I'm of the camp that likes to replace both sides.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
Yep, and the driver side outer is torn but it still has grease and the passenger side outer is torn at the axle end and its as dry as a bone.So I was thinking of rebooting the driver side, but I have no idea how long the passenger side would hold up with it being ran dry for who knows how long.The kicker is both inner boots are still good, but they arn't soft and elastic anymore so its only a matter of time until they tear too.So what your saying is I should try to find some good axles at the junkyard?
I'd possibly reboot the torn one with grease. Depends how loose it feels. Not the dry one. Once torn, grit gets in and wear speeds up.

Most recent CV's I've done were the gf's Jeep Liberty, I got Cardone remans. ~$50 each. No issues. I found OE boots are hard and plasticky. Cardone's boots were soft and pliable. (different design and material).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.