Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
My '90 Ram d-150 has a 318 w/ 190,000+ miles and I'm looking ahead to the time when I make an engine decision and was toying with the idea of a diesel conversion. 1)Can it be done? 2) Is it worth the effort & 3) Which is the best engine for the job? I

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
any cummins is a good cummins, yes it can be done pretty easily, and is it worth it? heck ya, you get all the torque and power you would ever need and most get 18 mpg or better on the highway, and diesel is usually cheaper than gasoline to boot and doesnt fluctuate as much as gas does, it is a job to swap it but not really hard, biggest deal is cost of swap, cummins are hard to come by cheaply.

jamie

·
Registered
364 Posts
Think it would be easier just to buy a cummins truck, everything would need replaced or beefed, even the k member and frames are heavier than the gassers, to say nothing of the suspension and drive train.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
not totally true, the gassers frames are the same except for some minor changes, mine has been holding up extremely well with 40 inch tires and 513 gears and i DO wheel it. the one ton trucks have adifferent frame section towards the rear. otherwise they will be fine unless you BOMB them, then you might wanna change it up a bit, as for ujoints, yes definetly chnge them out to a larger size, the torque is enormous. ;D

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
My one ton frame is 3" taller through the entire mid section. Not sure if engine cross member would be that big a deal. I left the diesel member in and my 440 fit with no problems.
I would say change out the 9.25 for a D70.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It would be a lot easier to build a 4x4 front suspension to handle it. I'd be a little skeptical if the D-150 front end can handle it. The D250 w/Cummins front end is a little marginal in some people's opinion. I know of a couple that have popped ball joints apart. If your '90 is so nice, why don't you buy some beat up work truck and swap your body onto the frame with proper running gear and suspension. You see trucks like this around for as low as $2500 now, about what you might be lucky to buy the engine for...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.