Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
60,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Submitted By: shedevil
Date: October 31, 2008, 04:53:45 AM
Views: 7983

Custom Interior / Headliner - shedevil

(Figure 8 )​

This is done on my 88 RC. First i did the interior.

1. INSTRUMENT PANEL

I pulled the wood paneling stuff off around the guages,in as few pieces as possible. Then i used that paneling as a stencil. I laid it on the fabric and traced around it. Then just cut out the fabric and glued it on the panel using the fabric glue in the bottle below. I have no pic for this but its easy.

2.GLOVE BOX
I took it off and removed the lock mechanisms, glued the fabric over(with the fabric glue ), overlapping about 1 inch to the inside, making a hole where the lock went in. Then just put the lock back on over the fabric. Put it back on the truck.

3.DOOR PANELS
No pic but its just like the trimming (below). Take the window crank off, yank the fabric/cardboard part of the door panel off ( mine had rusty clips that were not reusable). Then I cut out the fabric to fit over it and around the back about 1 inch. Then with a long doubled piece of upholstery thread and sharp needle, I tied the end of the thread to the starting corner of the fabric. Then just zigzagged it from one side of the fabic to the other pulling hard enough to keep the fabric as tight as possible. Just work the opposite sides together all around. It will use alot of thread, but not more than a full spool. AFTER it is covered cut a hole for the window crank. Since the clips were unusable, I used a screw in each croner to fasten it back on. I used black screws to hide on the black part of the fabric.

4.ROLL BAR
Cut the fabric to fit it. Then glue it on with spray glue or fabric glue and pin it together. Let it dry a few hours, then sew a rough stitch along where the fabric joins. Pull out the pins (I did it at the top where it wouldnt be seen).

(Figure 12)​

5.TRIM
This is the harder part,but not bad. If your trim breaks off into 100 pieces when removing they can be duck-taped together. Thats what I did before covering them.

(Figure 1)​

After removing and taping them, I laid it on the fabric. Cut the fabric around it about 1" extra on all sides.

(Figure 2)​

Then I glued the fabric to the piece, wrapping rubbing bands around in spots to hold it while it dried a few hours

(Figure 3)​

(Figure 4)​

Did the zig zag on the back of it like with the door panels. A fabric with a slight stretch helps conform to the odd shaped peices like, well most of them.

(Figure 5)​

(Figure 6)​

(Figure 7)​

(Figure 11)​

When covering them, make a note of which pieces overlap others. If the panel is dented to fit under another piece, trim the fabric off that area. I didnt do this step and had to go back so they'd lay right. If you're doing the headliner too then leave those trim pieces off for now.

6.HEADLINER
Remove all pieces of trim that are in the way, including on the vent window on the roof. Then remove the headliner (2 pieces). If its like mine, it will have a coating of nasty brown gunk on it. I just ragged it off with a DRY rag. There is also a thin clear film over it. DONT remove it, I did on the front half and had fiberglass needles in my hands all night.

(Figure 9)​

After it was clean, I laid it on the fabric (be sure when you buy it it is 60"wide and not 45"wide, fabric comes in both those sizes, the large back headliner is 47"w x 58"l.) Cut around the headliner about 2 inches out all around. Then using the spray glue, carefully glue the fabrc down. It will stay wet just long enough to smooth out wrinkles. Wait for this to dry a few hours, laying flat. Then turn it over and glue it with the fabric glue (bottle) to the edges of the back side. Cut notches in the fabric where they are already on the headliner for the panel screws to go in.

When putting back in, its easier to have someone help hold it up. I didnt have help, so i used a screw in each corner sticking out out to hold it up while i put the trim back on.

(Figure 10)​

1 - 1 of 1 Posts