Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got to this point this afternoon, decide to do a quick setup, showing how the shifter will fit into the console. Made the shift knob myself. The shifter will be raised off the floor 4 inches as shown, to get it into comfortable reach. This RC will never see deep water or mud from offroading, unless by accident, so the particle board should be fine.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The kicked up portion at the front will be for three autometer gauges, for oil pressure, water temp, and amps, or voltage. Have not decided. Hope you guys like it. I am going to try and make an aluminum brushed finish plate that covers the whole top. The rest will be red vinyl. Also making cutouts to hold a zippo lighter, etc, on the top of the console. This should look sweet when all done.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
waterproof? This will be a 2wd dropped cruiser, hehe. I could paint it though? That could look sweet also!!,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
freakin sweet.'glass it and paint it gloss black

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In a red interior?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
yep. and pull off a few peices of the red trim and sand them down to make them body color too...or just paint it a close matching red gloss.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this is going to be more like a period style eighties interior. Retro so to speak. Before everyone went dash paint nuts:). Before white gauges. Before carbon fiber. etc etc Seats were vinyl and velour mixed, consoles with floor shifters, that were not part of the dash, things like that....I see how your idea could work, though. ,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
so are you using the stock center console also and making this flush to that? or is this a custom replacement unit?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a complete replacement of the factory one. The burgundy one has gone away for good. Good storage, but useless drinkholders. They shoul'd've insulated them and made it a removable ice chest, hehe.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
thats what i figured but couldnt tell its total size. i wanna do something like this to mine soon. prolly just leave it in spray paint til i redo the interior.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. It's okay to look kool on the outside, but more than half of how you feel about a truck is interior condition. At least to me anyway. You spend most of your time there, hehe.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
yeah, true. and more pics.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well if i was building it out of mdf or particle board, i would definatley coat the thing in fiberglass resin. NO MAT OR CLOTH, just resin. The resin will soak into the wood and it will make it indestructable and water proof. I have built speaker boxes with self watering intergrated planters on top that have lasted for years using this technique. You can still cover it in vinyl with contact adhesive. Build it how you want it and paint it with fiberglass resin it will last forever. The brads or screws will never "loosen" up either.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts