Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states my cummins crew cab had the rear end pile up on our way home from camping two weeks ago. I'd like to swap in something that gets away from the inboard drums. Ive heard  that a dana 80 drw axel is almost the same width as a stock saw 70? Is this true? I'm looking for something that's going to be close to the same width as the factory 70 in my truck. Moving shock mounts and spring pads aren't an issue, I just down want the rear wheels to be noticeably wider then the front dana 60. I've found a dana 80 drw locally with the correct ratio but the guy wants an arm and a leg for it.

Thanks !

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
The widest diff 1stgen or 2ndgen is still the DRW pickup (~72"). The cab & chassis DRW for either is narrower (68" ?). The 1stgen SRW is 65", while the 2ndgen SRW is 70" (drum) or 71" (disc).

1stgen front diff is 67-67.5" depending where you read.

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
I put a 2nd Gen Dodge Dana 80 dually rear axle (not a cab-n-chassis version - they're narrower) under my 1st gen crewcab and it was great.

Be aware tho that the D80 has different lugs (9/16 I believe) vs the 5/8 lugs on a 1st gen....and there's ways around that so they all match.

Check out reply #553 (and on) on an old truck I built, here - http://ramchargercentral.com/mopar-trucks/big-mack-(-here's-the-beef-)/550/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you run drw set up on yours? I plan on keeping mine srw. I've found a 14 bolt locally out of a 2002 gmc with rear disks guy says it's 69 inches wms to wms but it's metric studs. I'd rather convert my truck to 9/16 all around if possible. Does anyone happen to have a picture of a swr 70 or 80 installed into a first gen with factory wheels? If like to avoid running spacers if possible but it seems like this might be difficult

Attachments

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Carter124 said:
Did you run drw set up on yours? I plan on keeping mine srw. I've found a 14 bolt locally out of a 2002 gmc with rear disks guy says it's 69 inches wms to wms but it's metric studs. I'd rather convert my truck to 9/16 all around if possible. Does anyone happen to have a picture of a swr 70 or 80 installed into a first gen with factory wheels? If like to avoid running spacers if possible but it seems like this might be difficult
You only need front spacers for '00+ Dodge wheels (~6" backspace).

I can't run the spacers with 'normal' offset wheels... steering arc too great for my tire/fender clearance. 3" difference in track front vs. rear hasn't been an issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Carter124 said:
I'm actually dropping a 14 bolt from an 03 Chevy under my Dakota, and yah it's right around 69 inches -would sure be a good axle for you. These newer 14bolts are metric lugs, but same 8-lug (not metric) pattern

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.