Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 90 cummins motor, transmission and transfer case for my 85 crew cab project. I was going to run the 727 so I bought a Goerend converter for it, now I would like to do the A518 overdrive since their website list the converter I bought to fit 727/518 will it fit? I tried a couple of times calling them and left messages but no one has got back to me was going to ask them if their converter indeed fits both. What is a good transmission to buy, I was looking at ATS, BD, if the converter I bought does fit the a518 I would like to use it. I know it would not be as good as a 47rh with a lock up. What and we're is a good place to get a transmission from? any members with a built 518 that can give any advice? Also is anyone close to Northwest, Pa that has a cummins 518 that is rebuild able for a core turn in or maybe I would buy a rebuild kit and rebuild it myself. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
https://transmissioncenter.net/product-category/dodge/ look / read tip's at this web site , the fella who does the trans rebuilds is a Dodge guy , himself , I've bought 2 trans from them so far ( 518's) shipping was 200$ no core for my gassers ... I'm just north of ya ... WNY boarder . ( click on the yeller box's , spend the time ... lots of good accurate info)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, i'll look into them. With the price of some done 518's plus the shipping and core charge( which i only have a 727 for a core) i'm up to almost $4,000 for all 3. I am better off seeing if i can do a 5spd setup? I would not care if it was a good getrag for now, would just like to find a complete setup from pedals, column, slave and master , transmission  and transfer case ( i would need the 205 t-case since those are 29 spline and the auto's are 23) second hand smoke diesel does make a 23 to 29 spline adapter, not sure if they still make them because all their products say out of stock

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I am going to look into the automatic to nv4500 conversion kits some more. I think i might be able to do that for less money then a automatic or not much more money. If I stay with a automatic I am trying to figure out which one I want the ATS or the Suncoast.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
needing the clutch pedal , brake pedal , clutch master , clutch slave , etc .. the "small stuff " adds up so .....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dodge82273 said:
needing the clutch pedal , brake pedal , clutch master , clutch slave , etc .. the "small stuff " adds up so .....
Yes, it does. Right now I am thinking of putting the diesel in the crew cab with the 727 and Goerend torque converter to get it out and driving then looking for a complete club cab 4x4 to buy for all the parts. leaning towards a 5spd but if the a automatic shows up i would buy it. As long as the drive train is good and all the parts i need are there the body can be complete junk. If I get a club cab then the driveshafts should work in my crew cab, if what i searched was correct. If i put a overdrive automatic or a 5spd in my crew now my current driveshafts won't work so there is extra money there. If the right truck showed up in my area i could open the wallet for 2700-3700 for a parts truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To be honest you don't have to dump a ton of money into a trans .My advise on Trans is go 47rh .Best Bang for the Buck .You can get 1 built that will handle 400 hp easy and not cost you an arm n a leg .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.