Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have found a fella on the internet, (don't know his location just yet) that has a Cummins 3.9L with chevy bell housing and clutch, 80K miles and said to run fine, he's asking $2,000.oo for the engine with air filter and down tube, presume exhaust. And it has serpintine belt for accessories.

Question is this to high or not, and is this engine worth putting in to a RC? I don't think it would be that hard to do. I just don't have any idea as to what torque/power the 4 cylinder engines put out. I know the RC is not as heavy over all as a bread truck.
G.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
the price seemes close to ballpark but you can get 6bts for that price, but the mileages looks great. i think the price is right if your getting the turbo with it, and would be a great powerplant for a rc in my book. as for converters i cant help ya much on that. might look at some converter companies as the diesel converters tend to have anti balooning plates in them.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mrpeal said:
the price seemes close to ballpark but you can get 6bts for that price, but the mileages looks great. i think the price is right if your getting the turbo with it, and would be a great powerplant for a rc in my book. as for converters i cant help ya much on that. might look at some converter companies as the diesel converters tend to have anti balooning plates in them.
This one is to what I have received about it to this point has no turbo. I really would like one with the turbo as well and don't want to get a turbo and add after the fact.

What I've heard to this point as well is that the 3.9L is the same interface wise as the 5.9L. Have not confirmed that yet though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
3.9l is a 4B non-turbo
4BT turbo non-aftercooled
4BTA turbo w/aftercooler

I think these are the designations. I'm looking for a 4bt or 4bta for my 1974. You can always add an aftercooler to a 4BT. The 4 cyl is basically a 5.9 with 2 cyl cut out. I think all of the accessories will bolt on. Somebody did a nice conversion on a Scout that had A/C.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
ya i would only want it with a turbo too. although you might check with slimer here on the site, he called last week and aquired a mid 70s crew cab that had what looks to be a 3cyl perkins turbo diesel in it. think he said somewhere in the area of 350cid and it is supposed to still run good, has auto behind it. just another option and would likely be cheaper than a cummins.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Headshot_Zod said:
3.9l is a 4B non-turbo
4BT turbo non-aftercooled
4BTA turbo w/aftercooler

I think these are the designations. I'm looking for a 4bt or 4bta for my 1974. You can always add an aftercooler to a 4BT. The 4 cyl is basically a 5.9 with 2 cyl cut out. I think all of the accessories will bolt on. Somebody did a nice conversion on a Scout that had A/C.
Let me find out some more info on this engine that I've got a line on it. If I decide that I really don't want to persue it, I'll forward you his e-mail and you can get in contact with him.

I think its a turbo, with out the intercooler. I'm sending an e-mail now to see for sure and find his location.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
The 3.9 is basically a 5.9 with two less cylinders. Most parts are interchangable between the two, with exception of delivery pump related parts.

I would not pass up the engine even if there isn't a turbo, because these engines are scarce to begin with and are even more scarce with so few of miles. I suspect that the engine does have a turbo unless it's several years old, or it's been removed.

The horsepower and torque rating for these engines can depend on application. This Marine version has a rating of 250 HP at the crank.

However if the engine you are looking at was used in a commercial truck application, the company who originally ordered the engines can specify the power output.

Even if the power level is relatively low, the 3.9 can be turned up just as it's possible to turn up a stock 5.9 6BT from 250HP to 600HP.

If you plan to uprate the engine, you'll need a bigger turbo (This is why it's not important to have a turbo to begin with) and you'll need to increase the pump volume and pressure. You can install high flow injectors (Some aftermarket companies can custom make these for your application) And if thats not enough, you could always add propane for big power increases. Remember to add an intercooler and a large downpipe, and this little 4 cyl should give a good run against a big block, while using 1/2 the required fuel as a big block.

Ed

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'd been looking into those motors for my Dakota, according to what Cummins had said, that motor is available with a Chrysler bellhousing pattern..
I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be good for a RC, I've heard of a few being put into Suburbans (hehe replacing the 6.2L GM).
I think with some mods.. it could be 250-300HP and still plenty reliable for your needs; that's the level I was aiming at if I ever go with one. But for now, my budget is only letting me upgrade from a 2.5L to a V6.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
i just saw one of those 3.9s in a jeep cj5 he said it was pushing 500 hp it was for sale at the local swap meet for 5,000 i would have bought it but i spent my money before i saw it it was kick ass 3.9 cummins nv4500 203/205 t-case ans dana 60s front and rear

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
swamthang said:
i just saw one of those 3.9s in a jeep cj5 he said it was pushing 500 hp it was for sale at the local swap meet for 5,000 i would have bought it but i spent my money before i saw it it was kick ass 3.9 cummins nv4500 203/205 t-case ans dana 60s front and rear
Now thats what I'm talking about!!

That sounds good to me!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to get the engine but can't scrape the cash quick enough or go and pick up untill next year, sent HSZ an IM to e-mail him for it before it goes on to e-bay!!

It does have a turbo, he's in FLA.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I am interested in one of these 3.9 Cummins engines,but where do you find them?What were they used in?I want to put one in my RC since I am making my own biodiesel. ;D

·
Registered
362 Posts
We just sold a Onan Generator with a B3.9. They were used often for generators, irrigation pumps, etc. You'll find them in some forklifts and other construction quipment. Were also available in step vans, etc. One on ebay now...with turbo...item # 7932747737. Great little engines.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Theres a guy On Turbo Diesel Register, and he has a 3.9L in his M715, about 6000lbs curb weight and he gets 30mpg at 55mph, but when he goes to 65 or 75mph the milage drops 3-6mpg which probably means the cummins is sensative to rpm. Just search over there and you'll find a good amount of information on swapping those engines, only problem is they want you to buy their magazine so you can post there.

·
Registered
328 Posts
One of those 3.9's would work very well in a CJ jeep, i believe advance adapters made or does make an adapter for this application. I personally don't believe it would be enough engine for a r/c though.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
dodgecharger said:
One of those 3.9's would work very well in a CJ jeep, i believe advance adapters made or does make an adapter for this application. I personally don't believe it would be enough engine for a r/c though.
Trust me, the 3.9 will easily move a RC. They are often found in big delivery van which weigh more and carry much more payload.

Ed

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been looking for a 4BT also, They make around 110hp and 300ftlbs of torque. Most of them have a rotary injection pump like the first gen dodge cummins. You can bolt up a ford or chevy tranny with the right adapter. A lot of the bread trucks came with TH400 chevy trannys. There is one for sale on ebay now out of a bronco. engine tranny and transfer case. If I find a good source I will post it. I hear Frito Lay sells their old delivery trucks with 4BT pretty cheap

1 - 17 of 17 Posts