Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard CTD trucks use a larger bushing sleeve in the spring eye. Is there any way to re-bush a gas truck or RC spring to work in the front of a '93 Cummins?

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I had a set of springs from a 92 and the spring eye bolts were bigger. I drilled out the shackles to match the eye bolt.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kyot said:
I had a set of springs from a 92 and the spring eye bolts were bigger. I drilled out the shackles to match the eye bolt.
Hmmm. That sounds like you used Cummins springs in a "regular" truck. I want to do it the other way around.

·
3,753 Posts
stupiddodge said:
kyot said:
Hmmm. That sounds like you used Cummins springs in a "regular" truck. I want to do it the other way around.
I almost did this, would have been more work to weld and re-drill the front spring hangers. I just used the Cummins main leaf then put the RC 6" Skyjacker leaf pack (minus it's main leaf of course) under the stock main leaf. Ended up with around 3" lift over stock, and it rides ok(not great).

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
why do you want to use a 1/2 ton spring under a cummins? I don't think they will stay arched for long.
Only because I have an assortment of leaf springs I've gathered over the years and rather than buy new springs I would like to try some of the ones I have to get the ride height I'm looking for.

Thanks Flake. I may try that if I can't find a bushing solution.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
stupiddodge said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:
why do you want to use a 1/2 ton spring under a cummins? I don't think they will stay arched for long.
Only because I have an assortment of leaf springs I've gathered over the years and rather than buy new springs I would like to try some of the ones I have to get the ride height I'm looking for.

Thanks Flake. I may try that if I can't find a bushing solution.
I'd been wondering that same thing; the CTD will play hell on the gas springs, I think to hold the weight you'd be putting together such a spring pack that your ride would probably suck.

·
3,753 Posts
Anything was an improvement over the dead front spring I had, literally they were 1" off of the bump stops. Be sides he has these springs laying around, might as well use them on something.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only want about an inch or two above stock ride height. I have an old 3 1/2" square cut Rancho set with an add-a-leaf I was gonna try. Maybe 4" Softride. Or some combination of the two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts