Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
details:
86 RC 4x4, 360 auto trans (not sure of drivetrain), q-jet carb, auto hubs, 91k miles, stock height, etc....

wondering if there are any common things that go wrong with the factory cruise control that i could check (ie... vacuum, wiring, fuse, etc...)

thanks in advance for you help.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
First check those things that are cheap. Check the vacuum lines. Usually its just that the electrical connections get dirty so clean those really well. Someitmes the thin rubber diaphram gets a leak but I am not sure if you can fix those.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
What RevJayBear said, always check the obvious, is the speedo cable securly connected to the cruise control module on the fender?

On my '87, it activates with just a very very short micro tap to the set button, if I press and hold just a little bit it takes that as a "slow or coast" signal and it acts like it is not on. I don't even have to press the button all the way in just a light tap, maybe about 1/8 of an inch.

If none of this helps. IM me and I can send you the FSM diagnosis pages from 1987 concerning the cruise.

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i'll check it out and let you know what happens.

·
7,995 Posts
No Speed Control When ``Set'' Button Is Engaged

1.Blown fuse.
2.Vacuum leak.
3.Speed control throttle cable disconnected or not adjusted properly.
4.Improper stop lamp, speed control switch not adjusted properly or clutch switch.
5.On all except 1986-87 Mini-Vans/Wagons, faulty electrical circuit or defective servo.
6.On 1986-87 Mini-Vans/Wagons, defective distance sensor, control switch, valve body or electronic control module.
7.Intermittent connection at firewall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts