Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crown King is an historic old mining town in the Bradshaw mountains of Arizona. A popular 4-wheeling trip is to take the 'back way' up to CK via old wagon roads and abandoned railroad beds. The road is narrow, not maintained, and very rocky, washboardy, and rough. Often, the road is washed out and has to be bypassed. The old washed-out line is often preferred by harder-core 4-wheelers.

The road is typically travelled up from Lake Pleasant, at an altitude of about 1200 feet MSL, to CK at about 6500 feet MSL.. The terrain changes from the low desert cactus to the mountain pines at the top.

It is considered a wheeling faux-pas to come down from the top, as meeting traffic usually requires somebody to back up a long way on the treacherous one-lane road. The road usually is bounded on the left by a drop of up to 1500 feet.

Find out more about Crown King.

First group shot, 0825 Saturday AM, at the I-17/Carefree highway exit.

From left to right, the Nugget (Mark Burns), The Ramus (me and Twister), AZ-Trailduster's 79 TD (Nick and Ryan), Colossus_RAM's 90 RC (Josh and Monica); behind it is Joe and Jackie's 78 440 RC, and Mohammad's 2002 Cummins.

Another look at Josh's (Monica's) clean 90 RC, as well as Josh and Nick.

At our first stop to air down. Nick holds the TD steady while Ryan drains some of the 50 PSI of air out of the tires.

The trail was a bit bumpy....as Twister tried for a shot out the back.

This one's a bit better. Mohammad's leading, then us, Nick/Ryan, Joe/Jackie, Josh/Monica, and Burnsie.

Hardly started and we're on a potty break. We're mainly checking to see if any big pieces have rattled off the trucks yet.

While in the weeds enriching the soil with nitrogen, Joe discovered a javelina skull. He safety-wired it to the ram head for a more menacing presence.

Here we encountered the first worthy obstacle to our progress. As usual, pictures don't depict the steepness or roughness of the slope. Mohammad is challenging the left side of the hill. I went to the right of the crack. The crack is about 4 ft. deep and can swallow a short truck. The road has an easy bypass to the right of this picture.

Note:: As a result of this trip, a new term is added to the collective lexicon of the AZ Chapter. The easy bypasses to all the obstacles on Crown King seem to be on the right. So if it is said that someone "went right", it means they took the easy line.

Jackie caught Joe pawing the air in the same spot.

I snapped this a milli-second after Joe's left front came back down onto the ground. He took the hardest line, of course. With lockers front and rear, and 35's, his was arguably the most capable rig in the group. Note the guy on the left, and note also the Pinzgauers in the background. More on these two in a minute.

Here's the aforementioned fellow in the Pinzie attacking the very heart of the crack. He made it, but a mile or so up the trail was not so fortunate.

This is the topside of the Pinzgauer a few seconds after it rolled on it's side. I'm sure others have better pictures. The fellow in the last pic was attempting a bit too much of an obstacle and the Pinzie capsized. Nobody was hurt, and the Pinz guys had it right side up and going again in a few minutes. Joe and Mohammad took this line up and made it. I went right.

(Jackie took this one)

Joe's rig walked right up the spot where the Pinzie rolled.

Mohammad's truck made it up with a bit more driving style (and a driver change.)

The next incident was the Nugget blowing the left front on an icicle-shaped chunk of rock. We stopped to repair it. We had noticed a helicopter orbiting, and we found out via a couple guys on quads that a Jeep had gone over the cliff.

The helicopter had dropped a paramedic further down, where it could land, and he was working his way up to the accident site by hitching rides with 4-wheelers. Our tire changing work blocked his progress, so Mohammad loaded him up in the diesel and took him on up.

You can see how narrow the road is in this shot. This is typical. No way anybody can get by on this.

Our day was sobered up by the view of the Jeep where it had tumbled at least a thousand feet down the cliff side. The picture doesn't show it, but that's a near-vertical cliff side.

The Jeep driver was wheeling up the hill like we were, with a buddy in another Jeep. His Jeep stalled on the side and needed a jump. His buddy pulled alongside and got him started, but he evidently had lost track of the edge and he went over. He was killed. The people on the right of the pic are the paramedic and Forest Service personnel making their way down to the accident site. No emergency personnel had yet reached the site, which was very unaccessible, when I took this pic.

We continued on, carefully. Nick mashed the Forest Service guy's six-wheeler going by.

Almost to the top, you can see the terrain has changed as we have climbed from about 1200 feet altitude to over 6500 feet. Joe's rig.

Heading up the trail to our campsite.

Joe and Jackie, being the hard-core campers they are, choose nothing but the highest-quality outfitters to set them up with their gear. We all used the shower inside their tent, and they had us over for cocktails on the veranda later. I almost tripped going down the stairs, but the handrail saved me.

The mighty Ramus at rest in the camp.

Despite the bummer of the Jeep accident, it was a great trip for us. Nobody broke anything, other than the Nugget tire, and the evening camping was fun. I was gratified that Mohammad didn't burn the forest down, and we left it cleaner than we found it.

Ryan thought a skunk came through camp while we were sleeping. He woke up to find his face buried in one of his shoes.

On the way out, we met up with Montana Ram (Todd and Tina) who were attending the Crown King Chili-Cookoff, and said hi. Nick also collected a tarantula spider at this time, as a pet.

AZ members, if you have pics, post them in this thread or send 'em to me and I'll post them.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hey homie, is this the new ricer talk? lol ;D

Randall

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL....That's a Burnsie-ism for "I had to act tough, and then run away before I got in trouble, my friend."

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
very cool, to bad about the jeep. someone who actually knows what a pinzgauer is, holly sh#t. one of the mog club members has one, he wheels that more then anything. they do have a rather high center of gravity. looking foward to more pics

·
Registered
537 Posts
Looks like you guys had fun! No luck on the Turkey hunt in 6A. Had a good time with the quad though.
Those Pinzguaers are one tough rig. They have hydraulic four wheel drive with levers on the dash, lock in or out while under way. Go from one wheel rear drive to two rear with a lever. Go from both rears to both rears and one front with another lever, and the last lever locks the two front wheels. I'll be on the next one. Z

·
Registered
343 Posts
Jackie and I would like to thank everyone for another great outtting. Jackie really thanks Jalene for the medical attn. Only damage to the truck that I saw so far was a missing tranny mount doughnut and a scrapped front right rim. It was nice meeting with everyone, we had a good time.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
justplainjoe said:
Jackie and I would like to thank everyone for another great outtting. Jackie really thanks Jalene for the medical attn. Only damage to the truck that I saw so far was a missing tranny mount doughnut and a scrapped front right rim. It was nice meeting with everyone, we had a good time.
Hey Joe and Jackie!
Looks like guys had a great time. Good to see your rig in some pics. I just may be going to Dodge City with Brent again, so perhaps I'll see ya then.

Oh, how are the pretty seat covers holding up? ;D

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
hey GP, i've gotta get my rig out there next year so i can hit some of these trails with you... maybe take a couple of weeks and head out. sound good?

jeff

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good to me. I thought you sold your rig though?

·
Registered
343 Posts
WyzGuy said:
justplainjoe said:
Hey Joe and Jackie!
Looks like guys had a great time. Good to see your rig in some pics. I just may be going to Dodge City with Brent again, so perhaps I'll see ya then.

Oh, how are the pretty seat covers holding up? ;D
Gotta love those Island Brudda seat covers. C/K was a good run. I'd like to do it again. Lots of flexing and twisting. We'll see you and Brent at Dodge City in March. Maybe some of the AZ guys would like to attend.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well, after changing out the trans mounts, I noticed that my steering mount plate is cracked also. I'll be off to the JY to pick one up. Its cracked almost to the 2 lower mount bolts, just another excuse to go to the jy.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Are you sure all that damage really happened on this one trail ride?

Those blasted washboards! ;) ;D

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's another pic courtesy of 1Bad, -er, AZ84, -er, Ryan:

Hey, the Ramus can flex after all! Shows my new tire/jerrycan/jack carrier too.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
GP... i had it sold, but there was a number of problems, so i ended up keeping it. now it looks like i may be getting transferred out to that area, so get ready for another member of the chapter!!!! woo-hoo!!!!

jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts