Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that in order to run cross over steering on my '78 Trail Duster, I need to relocate the gear box, change the steering shaft and install a different steering arm on the passenger side steering knuckle. My question deals with the steering arm. Which is more practical or easier to do, a) get a flat-topped knuckle that's predrilled, b) remove the knucke and drill and tap it myself, c) remove knuckle then bring it somewhere to drill and tap, or d) leave the knuckle on the truck, and drill and tap it there? I'd like to do it on the truck, I just don't know if that's a good idea. Btw, the steering knuckles came off an '87 RC.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Yeah you will. I drilled and tapped the knuckle on project FORD KILLER. Everything was still mounted to the truck. We just took the passenger side tire off and put a jack stand under the axle. The rear most hole needs a bottoming out tap since when you drill through it will come through at an angle underneath.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Just to let you know, here's how I did it. I built my own steering arm so it might be a bit different for you. I knew I wanted to use 5/8ths bolts on the knuckles so I drilled the steering arm to 13/16ths, the size needed to tap it for 5/8ths. I positioned the arm on the knuckle where I wanted it and clamped it down with a big C clamp. I left the rear most hole exposed so I could get to it with my drill. I used the same size drill bit and drilled all the way through the knuckle. I then removed the steering arm and tapped the knuckle in that first hole. I drilled out that hole to 5/8ths now and bolted it down with one of the grade 8 bolts. I repositioned the arm where I wanted it again. I clamped it down and drilled the second hole on the knuckle and repeated my procedure. I did that til all 3 holes were drilled and tapped. Make sure you put the arm on the knuckle so it will not interfer with the back spacing of the wheels or rub on the tires.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks ramman. 1 more question: can i use the stock steering gear box? or will a different one work better. For that matter, is there any gear boxes out there that might be better than the one on the '78 now? It's leaking like a sob, and needs to be replaced.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
I know there is one gear box that swings vertically, not horizontally. Those can't be used, they will make you steer in the opposite direction. You can always reseal the box, I don't think the reseal kit is very expensive.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
The seal kits aren't too expensive. They aren't that hard to put in either. The box you are thinking of sam was in til 75. The pitman arm hangs down from the side of the box instead of on the bottom of the box. It's basically the same box, but there is a bracket that turns it sideways and it turns backwards from the other steering boxes.

·
3,752 Posts
`78 was the first year to have the pitman arm under the box instead of out the side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts