Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a bunch of post about crossover steering, and the How-To, then decided to go ahead with the project untill I called to get parts and they came up to $600 which included everything to raise the tie rod up also. The guy I talked to on the phone told me that I should use heim joints everywhere instead of tie rod ends. I was just planning on leaving my tie rod where it is at for now and just getting the new steering arm for the passenger side and moving the steering box back. Then couldn't I just use tie rod ends and a rod to connect the steering box to the new arm, and still accomplish the same thing? or am I missing something here? Also has anyone ran a 35/16-15 Bogger on a 15x14 wheel? I want to go as wide as I can, but the guy at the tire place said that they were to wide that the bead would keep breaking, but I still think it would work!!!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Yes you can leave the tie rod where it is unless you are wanting a high steer set-up. I have right at 100 bucks in my cross over. A drop pitman arm is a must. I used 1-1/2 tubing to create my cross over draglink and welded nuts in the end and then screwed the heim joints in-a jam nut should be used as well. For the knuckle on the passenger side I drilled and tapped it myself. I used the steering block from the drive side as well. I had to cut the arm off and make a new arm when do the conversion. I would suggest having the knuckle machined flat on the top prior to drilling and tapping. Mine angled in toward the center of the truck and I have had some binding issues but have got it fixed. Gmule has a good how to on it and I think you must have seen it already.

As far as the tires 14" wide rims do seem a little wide to me. I agree with the guy at the tire shop.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
It may be a little wide for that tire, but it will work, just don't air down too much.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds more like what I am wanting to do. I already have the drop pitman arm, but I will still need to find the rest of the parts. Where do you get heim joints at, is this something that the local parts store would have, or will I have to look elsewhere? What about the steering arm for the passenger side, was that hard to make? Where is a source for this arm? Also I was reading one post not to long ago, and I think I remember someone said that it put more stress on the frame, is any extra bracing needed? I forgot to mention this on my first post, but I am taking the 4" lift off, and getting a 6" lift so I can get a little more clearence, and get rid of the blocks in the back. I don't guess that will effect the crossover steering. Any suggestions on which company to go with for the lift? I think I want to go with all new springs instead of more blocks.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
check out ebay for the arm. I run heims on mine, but alot of people that use their rigs for daily drivers use rod ends. You can get the heims and tube nut adapters (I think that is what they are called) at http://jkwoffroad.com

He makes arms for a dana 60, you might ask him if he can do one for a 44, if that is what you have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts