Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for S's and G's...breakdown of outrageous prices...

Crazy part is I have been to the ford dealership in Minerva Ohio where they mention the maverick. They had a gt500 there a couple months back with a 27k markup.

Neil

·
Super Moderator
29,601 Posts
We sold a TRX for about $20k over sticker. Nothing else we have is really going for that much, maybe the Wagoneer when it arrives, but we have a couple used trucks priced within a couple grand of the sticker on a new one. I can still pretty much trade my '18 2500 for a '21 2500 with the same basic options and not change my payment a bit.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Got my ‘19 challenger r/t for about 30k after taxes, tags, paperwork 18k miles. Sold for 28.5k if I remember right 10k miles later. Car was paid off and I got a good chunk of change for selling too. Felt as if I got paid to drive the car and even with a few years of payments, I really didn’t lose any money at all.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
A good portion of the population haven't been able to afford a new automobile since the good ol Jimmy Carter administration. I have purchased only 1 brand new off the showroom floor vehicle in my life, a 1991 Ford Probe 5-speed for about $13,000. HTF these people tool around in these $70K pick-ups is beyond me.

Bucky

·
Registered
438 Posts
A good portion of the population haven't been able to afford a new automobile since the good ol Jimmy Carter administration. I have purchased only 1 brand new off the showroom floor vehicle in my life, a 1991 Ford Probe 5-speed for about $13,000. HTF these people tool around in these $70K pick-ups is beyond me.

Bucky
Not jealous of anybody’s finances but when I see dudes shittin around in a F350, 3500HD, or 3500 Cummins as a daily driver I can’t help but wonder how someone or why someone would make those payments.

Reactions: neil4224

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I can understand dropping serious coin if a vehicle is worked & used to bring in the bacon, and I suspect many folks do that. But 70 or 80 grand just to showboat around town or drag toys to the lake just isn't in the average Joe's budget. My money is too damn hard to come by & not in sufficient enough quantities to be playing with the big boys.

Bucky

Reactions: Lzed

·
Super Moderator
29,601 Posts
Pretty much all of us at the dealership laugh at the guys paying $60k+ for a Cummins 2500 or 3500 to occasionally tow a single axle lawn mower trailer across town and pop in every so often to pay for their $400 oil, oil filter and fuel filter changes. I mean, it's their money, so they can do what they want, but I put it in the same category as paying tons of money for a car to sit in a garage, or a gun that never gets shot, or a piece of art that is hidden from view in a safe deposit box somewhere. But whatever makes people happy I guess. I'm sure someone somewhere thinks I am nuts for the money I put into my truck.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,346 Posts
It's all financed. Everyone running around on empty borrowing money they can't afford to pay back. It's the North American dream!
Before my injury, I lifted three F-350 Harley Davidson Edition's with Fabtech and BDS suspensions and a few Mega Cab Rams and by the time the trucks were complete they were worth well over $100G with the new tires and suspension. It's insane. Sure those new trucks are nice to drive - and to be honest, much safer, but I honestly love the old stuff more and it's so much cheaper AND you get to bond with the old stuff as you able to work on it yourself - not like the new stuff where you are forced to let someone else work on your truck. Yikes.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I won't pay it simply because they aren't worth it.

Reactions: BearGills

·
Registered
939 Posts
I won't pay it simply because they aren't worth it.
I can understand dropping serious coin if a vehicle is worked & used to bring in the bacon, and I suspect many folks do that.
@712edf made a good point. To me new trucks are worth every penny if you use them properly to make serious money.

I can't imagine life without a pick up truck. I don't make lots of money with my truck but it makes my life a lot easier.

When I sold my previous truck and had to wait 3 months for a new one i was so miserable(had to pay other guy to deliver 3 doors) that even my wife noticed...

·
Registered
939 Posts
Pretty much all of us at the dealership laugh at the guys paying $60k+ for a Cummins 2500 or 3500 to occasionally tow a single axle lawn mower trailer across town
I see the same problem with every stuff. People buy bigger, stronger and more expensive to build our ego up. That's how life goes nowadays :(

Here I see people buying cars like Wranglers, spend 30-50k on modifications and then sell them with info....

The car has never been driven offroad (which is sadly true for most of these cars):poop:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Bucky
I am the same way, never bought a brand new one till I ordered my spwb just a few months ago. If I didnt have the equity or the ability to profit from my original purchase to make money on my trade I wouldn't have. The typical loss off the lot is crazy.

Trucks are outrageous plain and simple. But if you use it for your income they can't be replaced in both senses of the world today.

Neil

·
Registered
721 Posts
I keep thinking something is going to have to change. You can keep adding years to the payment plan but what happens when the new vehicle loan is longer than the service life of the vehicle?

Cars are going to have to get simpler. I don't know how or if they run into big daddy government, but there is going to have to be some sort of workaround.

Maybe the used car craze IS that workaround and we are seeing it already?

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's not just cars/trucks. There are folks who have to walk around with a $1400 phone in their hand.

Bucky
To be fair, how much is $1400 anymore compared to a few years ago.

ps I have a $1300 phone but I use it for work;D

·
Registered
939 Posts
I see it this way. There's nothing wrong when people buy and use stuff they can afford, doesn't matter if it 1k or 100k.

It's a big mistake when they buy things on credit just to show off and increase their social status. I simply don't get it :oops:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
To be fair, how much is $1400 anymore compared to a few years ago.

ps I have a $1300 phone but I use it for work;D
Some may use all that technology. But many only use it to the extent that a $100 flip phone would suffice. But that's not as cool looking.

I'm typing this from a 10 year old laptop. Some do it from their phone. I probably could with my $250 phone, but I don't want to be tethered to the phone in that way. The laptop doesn't follow me around the way a phone does.

Bucky

·
Registered
29,712 Posts
l,m sitting here on a 'black friday" HP stream lap from 3 yrs ago and texting on a LG $25 dollar Walmart special smart phone , other than ALL my RC's l drive my Automag all summer besides the handicap van to transport the wife , l have my new purchase a 2000 jeep Gr Cherokee for $500 bucks [ had a broken frame thats now repaired ] as my winter vehicle/beater , l,m NOT cheap or poor and all the above is because l,m paying for a $42,000 dollar wheel chair for the wife [ she comes first ] and if it was not for that l,d have a Demon HellCat parked in the yard [ had it on order ] but such is life [ you cant get what you want , but you can get what you need - rolling stones]

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
4,346 Posts
Yep, I'm sick of technology and what they say it can do for us. It doesn't improve our quality of life - that's the illusion - if anything it wrecks our lives and enslaves us. I drive an old simple truck with a simple carburetor on it, I use a flip phone still, don't own a computer and don't watch television - I own a 46" flat screen TV but no antenna feed. It's insane how they have managed to brainwash so my people and turn them into sheep. The sheep RUN to anything newly released just because it is new. The more I drive my '79 Power Wagon the more I scratch my head and wonder why anyone would ever want to get rid of it in the first place (why I ever sold my old '77 Ramcharger SE Macho is beyond me - oh wait, I remember why now, it was because I had to get something else so I could keep up with everyone else and impress them) - anyways, my truck has tons of power, it's smooth to drive down the road with no rattles or squeaks (thanks to Skyjacker springs), it's reliable, durable, dependable, it's big, lots of room and frankly looks better than most anything out there on the road and can go anywhere and do anything a new truck can do. People who live their lives trying to impress other people are lost and under a spell and don't even realize it. The only reason I would ever get a "new truck" would be because it is needed for some reason, not because it's not needed other than to impress others. 👎

·
Registered
939 Posts
Yep, I'm sick of technology and what they say it can do for us. It doesn't improve our quality of life - that's the illusion - if anything it wrecks our lives and enslaves us.
Yes and no but that's not what this thread is about.
The only reason I would ever get a "new truck" would be because it is needed for some reason, not because it's not needed other than to impress others. 👎
Impressing others is a disease caused by social media but...
With the inflation rates right now IMO it's better to spend money on whatever you need or may need in the near future (not dumb spending), like cars, land, buildings, stuff for the house, tools and machines, even on home renovation than to keep it in the bank.
The things you "smart" buy now are less likely to loose their value over time than money(except for the electronics, it's old after delivery;) )

I'm looking for a truck at the moment, not that I need one but it guarantees that I won't loose money! I can always resale it if I need to(with profit).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts