Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the best price for this engine and how much extra are the heads with the big valves? Can it run on 87 octane with reduced timing? Is this a good motor to run in a truck or is it too weak bottom end???

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i got a buddy that has 1 in a 87 short bed p/u.. Very sweet .. it currently has 3.21 gears ( welded rearend ) need to go lower gearing to help with off the line.. It has a lot of grunt to it.. but it does have a stront cam lope to it.. very noticeable in the flowmasters...

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
If I was gonna spend big bucks on a sb for a truck I'd go for a 400ish stroked 360...

·
Registered
810 Posts
I had read somewhere that Chrysler got a lot of complaints from people who put those engines into trucks. After looking at the torque curve, however, I don't see why it would be a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Moparman440 said:
I had read somewhere that Chrysler got a lot of complaints from people who put those engines into trucks. After looking at the torque curve, however, I don't see why it would be a problem.
Someone was probably expecting a 380 hp 360 to have same tq as a 380 hp 440

·
Registered
810 Posts
The complaints were concerning reduced driveability. I guess a lot of uninitiated folks were buying this engine, probably paying to have it installed, and then were dissapointed that it was so lopey and didn't have a glass-smooth idle.
I think it would be a good engine for a truck, given that the rest of the truck was built for it.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
Moparman440 said:
The complaints were concerning reduced driveability. I guess a lot of uninitiated folks were buying this engine, probably paying to have it installed, and then were dissapointed that it was so lopey and didn't have a glass-smooth idle.
I think it would be a good engine for a truck, given that the rest of the truck was built for it.
If you wanted a smooth idling 380 hp motor its time for a BB or v 10

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just reasantly boaught one, i hope to have it running by thanksgiving, but i bought a 2200 stall converter to help with launches. I dont plan to replace the gears or axles until next winter, budget problems but i am pretty confident it will still have a good amount of shit to it. Who wants a drivable truck anyway, wheres the fun in a truck that is smooth and manerly, ramchargers are beasts, put a beasty motor in it. And never get a V-10.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
if you put it in a truck, better lock the rearend or you will be constantly buying 1 tire...LOL My buddy's truck has about a 2800 stall.. seems about right for the engine.. The only problem we are having withthe truck is that it melts the B&M shifter cable... (yes the cable is tied aout away from the hedders ) this time we split some gas line down the side & slid it over the cable to insulate it...

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, it can work in a truck....but it is designed for a car.

And a 380 hp 360 CAN have the same torque as a 380 hp 440.

I have a stock sounding, smooth idling 413 hp 360.........

And if you reduce the timing to run cheaper gas, you may as well buy the cheaper engine....cuz it won't perform as well. it is built to run the way it is sold...changing it may have drastic effects on it's power.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
IMO the 380 has WAY too big of a cam for a truck..unless you willing to run a REAL slippy converter and also be willing to take the low rpm hit on power the 380 cam will give ya. Unless your gonna run a small slippy converter and big gears you`ll probably hate it, and it prob wont run well on less than 92 octane...my 300hp doesnt, unless I back the timing WAY out, and that kills all driveability, it would be worse with a big cam. My suggestion would be go for the 300...come out to my place, I`ll take ya for a ride, it runs real well ;). If the 300 ain`t enuff, pop for a "slighty" bigger cam, somewhere around 260/270 and .450, IMO thats ALL the 300 needs to be a REAL kickazz setup..out of a box that is.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
or, get the 300 hp version, send the heads, intake and about 1500 to me, and I will get them ported & flowed tested like mine, and then you'll have 380 hp with a more user friendly cam.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I've got a four speed manual so low end tourque really isn't an issue for me. I'll just rev it up. I've also got 4.56 gears ready to go into my rears.

Another question though. Putting aside the reliability and warrantee offered by the crate motor, how would it compare to a magnum block and heads with a mopar performance intake and carb setup? Are there many cam options for this type of setup? It makes sense to use the magnum for the roller lifters and bigger valves, but I don't want to fool with the MPI. I'm not technically advanced enough for that yet. How is the MPI at adjusting for bigger cam changes? Also, is the fuel pump for my TBI intake adequate enough for an MPI setup? These are the reasons why I'm leaning toward a carb setup on the magnum block. What do you think? I'm going to post this question back to the board under a different topic so that I can get opinions from people not on this thread. Thanks again for all the quick replies.

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
I had a 320+ horse 318 (more hp than ci, like the 380 horse 360) till it sucked some stuff through it.... At any rate it idled rough, you had to run 89 octane in it period, 92 if you was gonna tow/haul ANYTHING, racing fuel and 92 mix if you was gonna tow/haul something heavy. When I had 4.10 gears with 33s(rather low, like 4.88s with 36s) it was a decent power setup, when I had 4.10s with 36s and when I had 3.23s with 31s (both rather high) it seemed not quite the right setup.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
poorpowerram89 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I've got a four speed manual so low end tourque really isn't an issue for me. I'll just rev it up. I've also got 4.56 gears ready to go into my rears.

Another question though. Putting aside the reliability and warrantee offered by the crate motor, how would it compare to a magnum block and heads with a mopar performance intake and carb setup? Are there many cam options for this type of setup? It makes sense to use the magnum for the roller lifters and bigger valves, but I don't want to fool with the MPI. I'm not technically advanced enough for that yet. How is the MPI at adjusting for bigger cam changes? Also, is the fuel pump for my TBI intake adequate enough for an MPI setup? These are the reasons why I'm leaning toward a carb setup on the magnum block. What do you think? I'm going to post this question back to the board under a different topic so that I can get opinions from people not on this thread. Thanks again for all the quick replies.
The new 300hp and 380hp Crate 360's are Magnum motors. You will already have the roller cam and Magnum heads etc.

I beleive MPI required higher pressure than TBI so you'll need a different pump, or a supplemental one.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
poorpowerram89 said:

, how would it compare to a magnum block and heads with a mopar performance intake and carb setup?
The crate 380/360 is a magnum block

How is the MPI at adjusting for bigger cam changes?
It would involve a better throttle body and bigger injectors, in some cases the throttle body will be more than the carb and then you still need injectors along with doing computer mods

1 - 16 of 16 Posts