Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okee guys.... i have my engine almost completly disassembled except i cant get that damn bolt off without turning the motor over... i know u should probabvly use an impact butttttt i dont have one here though..... any suggestions would definitly be welcome!!! thanx

·
Registered
548 Posts
um I got a way but its not safe.... do not attempt this.... Take a breaker bar and put it on the bolt.turn the motor over till the breaker bar is against something. Turn the key over on the motor and it will break it loose most of the time. Make sure you got the bar against something so when the motor turns over it loosens it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the motor isnt together, lol, its pretty much stripped down to the block and front cover... otherwise i woulda used that method, but it wasnt running when i started disassembly

·
Registered
548 Posts
so you got the motor stripped down? is the oil pan off? stick a block of wood in between the block and the crank and that should keep the crank from turning.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oil pan isnt off yet... that was gonna be next but looks like ill hafta do it before hand.... dammit..... thanx musk

·
Registered
548 Posts
Np phil. thats the only other way I know other than a impact wrench. Well I know other ways but it can destroy motor parts...

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
if you have the heads off, take a strong piece of metal with a hole in it big enough for a head bolt to go thru, and bolt it to the block deck surface using one of the short exhaust side head bolt holes and make sure it hangs over the piston. Now, find a small peice of wood, and put it under the piece of metal and on top of the piston. This will give you a homemade piston stop....now take the dang bolt off !!

·
2,317 Posts
is the motor out? i just either have somone hold the flex plate or if im by myself, i use a bar to jam the flex plate.

·
2,317 Posts
so is it still connected to the trans?

·
2,317 Posts
well since its still attached to the motor, drop the dust sheild,have someone use a bar to jam the teeth on the converter while you turn the crank bolt.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you don't have a helper.... drop the shield .. clamp a large pair of vise grips on to the ring gear. Carefully turn the engine over until the vise grips contact the bell housing... now you can carefully loosen the bolt. I've done it a few times without causing any problems, but use caution.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i used a variant of ramchargermans idea.... i took a big ass socket and wrapped in a thick rag, put it vertically in one of the cylinders then jsut bolted the old head back on with 2 bolts and got it loose.... YAY!!!! no time to take the rest of the shit apart and just outta curiosity.... does anyone sell a complete bolt set for one of these engines?

·
Registered
240 Posts
if i remember correctly hegs has a complete set for small blocks and big blocks

·
Registered
240 Posts
opps jegs not hegs

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
yes, many people do.....including arp, summit, jegs, manicni racing...they are like 150 a set

give mancini racing a shot, they give us a discount if you are a goldmember

1 - 20 of 21 Posts