Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 87 r/c 4x4 with the 5.9l.  It had sat up for about 4 years, but we dropped a batt in it pumped the gas and it fired right up.  I got it home, flushed the motor, put on a new pcv valve and a full k&n air cleaner set up.  It only had 61000 orig miles on it with the stock rochester.  Well, the gas gage didnt work so i accidentally ran outta gas.  I replaced the rochester with a holley 80457s ( 600 elec choke, vac sec).  I removed the air pump and the thermal vacuum switches.  I got her cranked back up, but i still have a whole lotta smoke coming out of my breather filter.  It was also doing this when i got it, just not as bad.  Do I have to run the stock breather filter back up to the air cleaner?  Or am I gonna have to put on an evac system tie'd into the exhaust?

·
Registered
29,389 Posts
sounds like your PCV [ positive crankcase ventilation valve ] aint working

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
The PCV should hook to the carb, the breather hooks to the air cleaner.  Engine vacuum should draw the combustion gases into the intake manifold.  The breather air cleaner hook up keeps the air going into the motor from being dirty.  It isn't necessary to hook the breather to the air cleaner but it is better if it is.

Check the PCV and make sure the ball is free to move.  Make sure the PCV hose has vacuum on the carb side and that the hose isn't plugged.

If you are still getting a lot of smoke, might be time to do a compression check.

Cheers

Chris

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
v737d said:
If you are still getting a lot of smoke, might be time to do a compression check.
x2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.