Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a BB 727 housing that has one of the threaded bell housing bolt holes cracked along one side. Its the lowest bell housing bolt on the passenger side. The inner part of the hole (nearest to torque converter) is cracked.

I'm wondering if I can weld this, then re tap it with a bottoming tap, or should I get another BB 727 housing and swap my motor home loadflight internals into it?

Has anyone else welded and repaired a bellhousing like this?

·
Registered
364 Posts
I think you're talking about the hole that lines up with that big ear on the block and is 7/16" thread. V it out, tig it, leave a hump on the inside of the bell for strength. You can always then helicoil it. Unless you have A-345 the internals are no different than any other 727 of same vintage and motor size. There are some really heavy duty pieces out now due to diesel applications. some require a little work to use in older applications.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This Loadflight came from a 70s motorhome. How do I ID the A-345? This loadflight has a different planetary set than contemporary torqueflights.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A-345s were actually 4 speeds based on the 727, they have a two piece extension housing-compounder and the front half is cast iron and swells out about a foot in diameter then tapers back down to the output spline. They were not overdrive trannies they are underdrive, 1st gear is 3.something. Only installed in motorhomes and medium duty trucks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The cases can be heliarced, the factory does this all the time, some of your oem cases have welds on them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The process uses AC but it's high frequency. Straight argon, aluminum fill rod.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Not sure on your application, but my dad was able to use aluminum wire in a wirefeed after I cracked my NP435 manual tranny bellhousing. He grinded the crack out first, obviously, then used the wirefeed. Haven't had a problem with it at all. :)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Try Alumalloy (sp?) or similar product. Ya can fix it with a propane torch then.
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts