Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I finally got my rc offroad this weekend, and it was a blast! however, at the end of the ride(what happened made it the end, I would've stayed a lot longer) my steering column separated from the entrance to the steering gear(?) I was able to pop it back in with a little coersion, but I don't thionk that is supposed to happen(it popping out like that) so, what should I do to replace/fix it? also, at the end of the steering column, there were to square pieces that give the round column the shape that it needs to turn the steering gear(the power steering box) and one of them is missing. does anyone know the name of said piece so I can get another?

if I do a compression test on the cylinders and they all check out, will that mean that it is ok to start with some hop up work for the engine, or should I start with a fresh rebuild anyway?

also, since my truck is a 4x4, doesthat automatically mean that I have "heavy duty axles"? and are those the dana 44's?

thanks y'all in adavance

andy

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Sounds like the rag joint came apart. Check how the how to section and you will find your answers to that.

How many miles on the engine? If your compression is good then yes go ahead and "hop it up". If you have alot of miles then a rebuild would be good.

Just because it is a 4x4 doesn't mean the axles are heavy duty. The dana 44 is a relatively strong axle if you don't put 44's on it and beat it to death. You can up grade to heavier axles as well. I think you would have the chrysler 9 1/4 rear end-someone correct me if I am wrong. They are decent axles if you don't go overboard on huge tires and beat it to death.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what Imeant by that is that I went to order wheel bearings and they asked if I had heavy duty axles or not. I didn't know if they were 9 1/4's or dana 44's. probably the biggest tire I'd get is a 33", and there's not too much rock crawlin to be done in minnesota, so, I guess I'll be fairly easy on the axles

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sounds to me like you pot coupling down by the steering box came apart. Is that correct? If so, rebuild kits are about $10 from Chrysler.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
sounds like the pot coupler to me too. a rebuild would work, but a borgeson would be much better. as far as heavy duty axles, you have a dana 44 front and a chrysler 9.25 rear. 3/4 ton trucks have the dana 44 HD.

Duane

1 - 5 of 5 Posts