Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
That's pretty disturbing but only scratches the surface of the potential security breaches that the general public has no clue exist.

·
Administrator
60,516 Posts
White85RC said:
Damn, that's pretty freaky. Makes me happier to have my own scanner & printer, though!
In this case, having your own, does nothing when the breaches are coming from employers, police departments, insurance companies, Local governments, ect. Most of them lease the equipment for so many months, they get a new one, and never think twice what happens to the old one. The manufacturers are just as much at fault, there is no logical reason for a machine to store that information after a good copy has been printed.

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
When Xerox machines were first practical for use in offices,  the only "outsider" allowed in the Soviet embassy in the US was the Xerox technician.  The CIA sent in one of their guys to "service" the machine and installed a camera that took a picture of every document copied.  I saw a very neat espionage documentary that detailed the case.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
That's pretty cool.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Kind of makes you think twice about using the machine at work.

G

·
SuperBurban said:
In this case, having your own, does nothing when the breaches are coming from employers, police departments, insurance companies, Local governments, ect. Most of them lease the equipment for so many months, they get a new one, and never think twice what happens to the old one. The manufacturers are just as much at fault, there is no logical reason for a machine to store that information after a good copy has been printed.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'having your own, does nothing' What I meant was that by having my own, I don't need to worry about someone getting hold of my scanned documents, Because I gaurantee you that when i'm done with it & it's time for a new one, i will be going 'Office Space' on this setup! ;D

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
White85RC said:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'having your own, does nothing' What I meant was that by having my own, I don't need to worry about someone getting hold of my scanned documents, Because I gaurantee you that when i'm done with it & it's time for a new one, i will be going 'Office Space' on this setup! ;D
uhhh..... dude... your not getting it.

You ever go to the docter? You ever go to a business and they need to copy your license? You ever....Jesus.... im scared now!!! been in the military?

Its not you. Its what every other idiot with a copier out there does.
Office space didnt take the time to take the hard drive out and wipe it with an magnet or at least destroy the platters.
Thats the whole point of the article. Imagine the DMV. Takes your license. Makes a photo copy of it then sells that copier.

OR

You were in the military. They copy everything. An scan everything, especially if youve been deployed or go to a promotion board. Plus they contract those copiers. Whats happens to them when they get wore out???

Do you work? Does your human resources have a copier/scanner??? What do they do with it when its service life is done?

Sure. Your copies are safe and secure. But about that machine that gets broke then sold to one of those clearinghouse places. Most businesses dont buy there own machines. They lease them from someone so they can get service agreements. Now your HR makes a crap load of copies or scans with your sensitive information on it and doesnt wipe the data and now it ends up in a wharehouse.

Damn.... imagine getting a copier from the IRS auditing team.

G

·
willy J said:
uhhh..... dude... your not getting it.

You ever go to the docter? You ever go to a business and they need to copy your license? You ever....Jesus.... im scared now!!! been in the military?

Its not you. Its what every other idiot with a copier out there does.
Office space didnt take the time to take the hard drive out and wipe it with an magnet or at least destroy the platters.
Thats the whole point of the article. Imagine the DMV. Takes your license. Makes a photo copy of it then sells that copier.

OR

You were in the military. They copy everything. An scan everything, especially if youve been deployed or go to a promotion board. Plus they contract those copiers. Whats happens to them when they get wore out???

Do you work? Does your human resources have a copier/scanner??? What do they do with it when its service life is done?

Sure. Your copies are safe and secure. But about that machine that gets broke then sold to one of those clearinghouse places. Most businesses dont buy there own machines. They lease them from someone so they can get service agreements. Now your HR makes a crap load of copies or scans with your sensitive information on it and doesnt wipe the data and now it ends up in a wharehouse.

Damn.... imagine getting a copier from the IRS auditing team.
Ahh, I got it now.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Scary huh....

·
Administrator
60,516 Posts
willy J said:
Scary huh....
Especially the part about the container loads of the machines being sent over seas. :eek:

·
Registered
0 Posts
SuperBurban said:
Especially the part about the container loads of the machines being sent over seas. :eek:
I can imagine the Nigerian money scams will go a lot further if they have more information to get you baited.

"According to our records, we can just draft the "fee" from account #xxyyzzaabbcc, and mail your remaining funds via certified check to 123 ABC Lane, Anywhere, US 12345. Can you please confirm so we can initiate transaction? Thank you!!"

Randall

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
dodge88 said:
I can imagine the Nigerian money scams will go a lot further if they have more information to get you baited.

"According to our records, we can just draft the "fee" from account #xxyyzzaabbcc, and mail your remaining funds via certified check to 123 ABC Lane, Anywhere, US 12345. Can you please confirm so we can initiate transaction? Thank you!!"
Randall
There is already a scam out there where they have practically all of your info (credit card number, name, ect ect) and just ask for one final piece so YOU can prove who you are.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.