Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drove my r/c 88 360 pretty hard for about 8 hours pulling a trailer stopped for a second shut engine off went in side mickey d's for a minute and when i came back out there was about 1 1/2 gallons of coolant that came from my engine engine never over heated never came close and it looks like the coolant sprayed out of the over flow tank so i filled the over flow tank with h20 hit the road again no more leaking and still never came close to overheating my question is why did i loose all that coolant???

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Your radiator cap spring may have lost tension. When you shut off the engine, with out an idle down to help cool it some. The presure in the cooling system sky-rocked with the high temp and no way to bring it cooler. That presure has to go some place, other wise it would have broke open a hose at the weakest spot. Have the hoses expanded any? Are the hoses in good enough condition to weather another load pulling day with a new radiator cap to hold that kind of presure in the system with out bursting, until the engine is started again?

·
Registered
619 Posts
get new rad. cap, and also check your lower radiator hose, sometimes under load the vacum can suck it closed and drastically cut off flow, so if the lower hose is shot replace that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys thanks
my hoses are fine i will replace cap and thermostat
ken

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Is it just the lower hose that can collapse or could it happen to the upper hose?

Mac

78machowgn4me said:
get new rad. cap, and also check your lower radiator hose, sometimes under load the vacum can suck it closed and drastically cut off flow, so if the lower hose is shot replace that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts