Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im very new to this so please be nice  ;D So recently i decided to replace the intake on my RC because my grandfather that had it before took out the stock 318 and rebuilt a 360 about a year ago but its been siting in my yard until i finally got my license... he had put a 2 barrel on it i have no idea why... but it ran fine before it was just sluggish so I took the intake off and replaced it with a crosswind intake, bolted a 4 barrel on and started it up, it ran strong, slightly high idle but obviously needed to be tuned, but after 10 seconds or so it started running rough and started dripping coolant from the rear header bolt on top on the passenger side onto the header and started steaming, after about 30 seconds of it running the engine started bogging down and started leaking a stream of coolant from above the front of the passenger header, it seemed like the back leak was gone and moved to the front of the engine but with a much greater flow. im assuming its the intake gaskets(since its the only thing ive touched), but i didn't see any visible coolant leaking from around the intake, its a recently rebuilt block so i dont think its the heads but is there a way to tell if its the head vs the intake?, thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
Was it torn completely down and rebuilt of just gone through? Are the expansion plugs good and tight? Did you use new intake valley pan gaskets? Any sealant on the intake? I usually use spray copper sealant. It sounds like either a loose bolt (although it would leak from one spot, not move around) I'm thinking the intake seal isn't good. The LA engines are wet head engines and coolant runs through the intake.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
The front and rear exhaust manifold bolts go directly into a water passage. Remove those bolts (exhaust manifold) and apply thread sealant to them.  After the sealant has dried refill the radiator.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
grouch said:
Was it torn completely down and rebuilt of just gone through? Are the expansion plugs good and tight? Did you use new intake valley pan gaskets? Any sealant on the intake? I usually use spray copper sealant. It sounds like either a loose bolt (although it would leak from one spot, not move around) I'm thinking the intake seal isn't good. The LA engines are wet head engines and coolant runs through the intake.
it was completely rebuilt, literally everything except the block is new on the drive train. I only took off the the intake and valve covers and front brackets, but i dint use a pan gasket is just used regular fiber gasket, but is it required for 360? it didnt have one when i took it out originally.all the plugs are tight and seem fine. i took the intake off again last night and rplaced it with the same set of gaskets as before but used more silicone and it doesnt even seem to have effected it, it ran for about 20 seconds clean the started blowing white smoke out the exhaust, it ddint seem like a major cloud like a head blown but it was still alot. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ProjectPW said:
The front and rear exhaust manifold bolts go directly into a water passage. Remove those bolts (exhaust manifold) and apply thread sealant to them. After the sealant has dried refill the radiator.
ill make sure to put some sealant on them, but it seemed to only leak from the back bolt, the front bolt was covered but the stream was coming from maybe an inch from above the exhaust

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
when an engine gets "rebuilt" oil is applied liberally as the pistons/rings get installed , so when first started it has to burn off that extra oil , it takes a few mins run time for enough heat and the smoke to get to the tail pipe , like 20 seconds at least . so fix the exhaust water stud/leak and try again.....  ;)

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
also did you remove the intake end seal locating PINS when you installed the new intake , almost all after market intakes are NOT designed to use the pins / the pins will keep the intake from sitting down far enuf to seal and cause leaks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.