Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 270 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this on Ebay for cheap.  I thought it was a print, but it's an original photo from the Lima Locomotive Works in Lima, Ohio.  I've always been a big fan of the railroads having lived here in Covington, VA near the large C&O yard in Clifton Forge about 10 miles away.  I grew up watching the Chessie System C&O trains roll by and got to play with some of my Grandfather's Lionel trains from the '50s when I was given my own little Lionel set as a kid.  My Grandfather was also a bridge guard during WWII for the railroad to prevent sabotage by the enemy.  I was actually born in the C&O Hospital in Clifton Forge.  Anyway, I was researching the C&O H-8 Alleghany 2-6-6-6 Locomotives that ran the Alleghany Line from Hinton, WV, through Covington and stopped at Clifton Forge.  They were large, 100 car coal trains weighing 10k tons or more that used one H-8 in front and another H-8 as a pusher up the the top of the mountains at Alleghany and then the pusher was sent back alone to Hinton and the single H-8 carried the train on to Clifton.  It would later return to Hinton with empty coal hoppers.  The 778,000 lbs H-8 Alleghany is thought by many to be the most powerful locomotive made.  The Alleghany was measured with a dynometer car at 7,498 horsepower and almost 7k HP at 45 MPH.  They were said to have been capable of making over 8k HP, which would have been more than even the PRR Q-2.  Instead of high speed passenger trains they were used to haul coal drags up the .577% grade at 15 MPH.

At any rate, I stumbled on this photo on Ebay for about $6 and I thought it would be a cool piece of memorabilia, even if it was a print.  The photo shows H-8 #1625 right off the assembly line as it was new, on July 23rd, 1944.  The back of the photo is stamped:

P.E. Percy
313 Singleton Ave.
LIMA, OHIO 45805

Percy was a salesman for the Lima Locomotive Works.  Also on the back in pen is written:

Lima Order #1182  (1944)
C&O Rwy 2-6-6-6, class "H-8"
No.  1620-1629

Anyway I thought it was pretty cool and that I would share it with you guys and see how many others are RR buffs.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,898 Posts
Nice score, Lanty!!! {cool}

The Virginian had a group of those 2-6-6-6's also. They called them "Blue Ridges"... ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, I was reading about those also.  Seems there are only two H-8s left that were not scrapped and neither are in running condition.  #1601 in in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI and #1604 is in the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD.  I missed the chance to see #1604 in person as it was kept at the Virginia Transportation Museum in Roanoke, VA for many years.  Maybe one day I will make it up to Maryland.

·
Registered
52,683 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
7,744 Posts
My Grandpa drove the "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4's (and others) for Union Pacific back in the day, including the one on display in one of our parks.  A neat piece of local history to have ties to.  Sometimes I get an interest in learning more about them, but it usually fades somewhat quick.

And UP has a steam shop here in Cheyenne that's fun to tour when they have it open to the public.  A Challenger and one other operational one are here and they have them out from time to time.  They also restore other old locomotives and executive cars too.

·
Registered
21,898 Posts
Elwenil said:
Yup, I was reading about those also. Seems there are only two H-8s left that were not scrapped and neither are in running condition. #1601 in in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI and #1604 is in the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD. I missed the chance to see #1604 in person as it was kept at the Virginia Transportation Museum in Roanoke, VA for many years. Maybe one day I will make it up to Maryland.
Yeah, I have to get down to the B&O museum as well. They have one of the four remaining Reading T1 4-8-4's, #2101, which pulled the Freedom Train in the seventies but it supposedly suffered thermal damage during the fire. ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday the girlfriend and I were supposed to go over to Clifton to see the C&O Railway Heritage Center.  They have one of the small scale train rides that is powered by a H-8 2-6-6-6.  Not sure if it's real steam or if it's electric yet as I've seen both.  We didn't go since it rained and most of the stuff to see is outside.  Today we were going to go to the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke but it's just a little too cold to stand around outside looking at cold steel.  The museum in Roanoke is mostly Norfolk Southern stuff since the NS shops are in Roanoke but it also has some cool PRR stuff too.  The one C&O loco they have is a GP-7 diesel but it's on loan to the C&O Railway Heritage Center in Clifton Forge until 2014.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
Elwenil said:
Yup, I was reading about those also. Seems there are only two H-8s left that were not scrapped and neither are in running condition. #1601 in in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI and #1604 is in the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore, MD. I missed the chance to see #1604 in person as it was kept at the Virginia Transportation Museum in Roanoke, VA for many years. Maybe one day I will make it up to Maryland.
I have seen the one at the henry ford museum. Pictures dont at all convey how large and generally awesome vintage locomotives really are. If that one at henry ford isnt in running condition, i bet it wouldnt take that much to get it running. ("much" being a relative term) On the outside and in the cab, it apears to have had substantial restoration work done to it.

That is a real score on that pic. Especially at 6 bucks. If i found it, it wouldnt be for sale, but it would likely bring in quite a few bucks at auction.

·
Registered
21,898 Posts
Elwenil said:
Yesterday the girlfriend and I were supposed to go over to Clifton to see the C&O Railway Heritage Center. They have one of the small scale train rides that is powered by a H-8 2-6-6-6. Not sure if it's real steam or if it's electric yet as I've seen both. We didn't go since it rained and most of the stuff to see is outside. Today we were going to go to the Virginia Museum of Transportation in Roanoke but it's just a little too cold to stand around outside looking at cold steel. The museum in Roanoke is mostly Norfolk Southern stuff since the NS shops are in Roanoke but it also has some cool PRR stuff too. The one C&O loco they have is a GP-7 diesel but it's on loan to the C&O Railway Heritage Center in Clifton Forge until 2014.
LOL Lanty!!! Now's a good time of year to stay inside and play with the little trains and the wife/girlfriend, if possible. 8)

I take it you're a big Chesapeake and Ohio fan. I like the Reading. Their "museum" is fairly close to me in Hamburg, PA...

http://www.readingrailroad.org/

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is in Strasburg which is fairly close also. Many of the Pennsy's old steamer collection are located there now...

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/

Good, now you have an excuse to come up here and visit us one of these days. ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Asymetric said:
I have seen the one at the henry ford museum. Pictures dont at all convey how large and generally awesome vintage locomotives really are. If that one at henry ford isnt in running condition, i bet it wouldnt take that much to get it running. ("much" being a relative term) On the outside and in the cab, it apears to have had substantial restoration work done to it.

That is a real score on that pic. Especially at 6 bucks. If i found it, it wouldnt be for sale, but it would likely bring in quite a few bucks at auction.
Yeah, the C&O Historical Society sells prints of the originals for $9. They have two pics of the same one I have taken the same day but they both have the tender in them and are from farther away, one on each side. I may get prints of them just to have them all, lol. I was really surpised at the detail in this old pic. Other than the reflections looking a bit odd, the detail of the linkages is amazing for a pic taken 67 years ago.

As for restored locos, I had the privilege of riding on the old Alleghany Central here in Covington when it was still operating. I was young and didn't pay as much attention to everything as I wish I had looking back, but I still remember the sounds, smells and the vibration as the steam engine powered up and pulled away from the station. Here's a postcard on Ebay with the Alleghany Central:

PowerWagonPete said:
LOL Lanty!!! Now's a good time of year to stay inside and play with the little trains and the wife/girlfriend, if possible. 8)

I take it you're a big Chesapeake and Ohio fan. I like the Reading. Their "museum" is fairly close to me in Hamburg, PA...

http://www.readingrailroad.org/

The Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania is in Strasburg which is fairly close also. Many of the Pennsy's old steamer collection are located there now...

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/

Good, now you have an excuse to come up here and visit us one of these days. ;D
Yeah, growing up with C&O made a big impression on me but I also love the PRR also since that was what most of the Lionel .027 stuff my dad and grandfather had. I can't play with model trains anymore since I don't have enough room for a layout and it's all horribly expensive. I tried it years ago but between my basement flooding and a "friend" stealing some stuff, it was not meant to be. I then got into railroad sims on the computer. I got Tranz 2010 and had a lot of fun with it. It's basically a railroad modelling sim. You can build the layouts, lay the track and run the trains or download layouts others have built. Lots of cool free stuff that people have programmed for that program. My gaming puter died finally and the on I am on now won't run that program so I went with Railworks 3 Train Simulator 2012 which run ok on the lowest settings and while you can build layouts for it, it is more of a railroad sim where you do mostly driving. It has some nice layouts but they are not cheap so I wait for sales on Steam. I recently picked up a PRR route that has the famous Horseshoe Curve on it heading into Altoona. I can sort of get my railroad fix that way without having to spend a lot of money. ;D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thats a cool pic EL been a railroad buff since i was a kid. Theres a some place in or near Lima that is taking and restoring the big iron steamers. I think its part of the rail museum there.

·
Registered
21,898 Posts
Elwenil said:
Yeah, growing up with C&O made a big impression on me but I also love the PRR also since that was what most of the Lionel .027 stuff my dad and grandfather had. I can't play with model trains anymore since I don't have enough room for a layout and it's all horribly expensive. I tried it years ago but between my basement flooding and a "friend" stealing some stuff, it was not meant to be. I then got into railroad sims on the computer. I got Tranz 2010 and had a lot of fun with it. It's basically a railroad modelling sim. You can build the layouts, lay the track and run the trains or download layouts others have built. Lots of cool free stuff that people have programmed for that program. My gaming puter died finally and the on I am on now won't run that program so I went with Railworks 3 Train Simulator 2012 which run ok on the lowest settings and while you can build layouts for it, it is more of a railroad sim where you do mostly driving. It has some nice layouts but they are not cheap so I wait for sales on Steam. I recently picked up a PRR route that has the famous Horseshoe Curve on it heading into Altoona. I can sort of get my railroad fix that way without having to spend a lot of money. ;D
The night I met my wife almost twenty years ago now, I was sitting around getting baked and designing a model railroad on graph paper. About one in the morning, I ran out of cigarettes and her store was the only one open. The rest is history but, needless to say, I never got the chance to build that layout. :)

I miss Conrail also now that it's been absorbed by CSX and Mr. Ed. This video was taken on the other side of the Allegheny Front opposite of Horseshoe Curve... Crank it up!!! {yes}

Conrail coaltrain with the best helpers I ever heard

·
Registered
52,683 Posts
PowerWagonPete said:
The night I met my wife almost twenty years ago now, I was sitting around getting baked and designing a model railroad on graph paper. About one in the morning, I ran out of cigarettes and her store was the only one open. The rest is history but, needless to say, I never got the chance to build that layout. :)

I miss Conrail also now that it's been absorbed by CSX and Mr. Ed. This video was taken on the other side of the Allegheny Front opposite of Horseshoe Curve... Crank it up!!! {yes}

Conrail coaltrain with the best helpers I ever heard
How do you know what end is what? They both look like the front. ;D

·
Registered
21,898 Posts
mopar65pa said:
How do you know what end is what? They both look like the front. ;D
That's easy, Tony. There's 8,000 horsepower on the front and 12,000 on the rear, all running at Notch 8, wide open throttle. ;)

·
Registered
52,683 Posts
PowerWagonPete said:
That's easy, Tony. There's 8,000 horsepower on the front and 12,000 on the rear, all running at Notch 8, wide open throttle. ;)
LOL........ I just watched that movie with Denzel Washington, "run away" about the run away train.

·
Registered
578 Posts
There used to be and probably still is Transportation/railroad museum in Chattanooga, TN with running steam locomotives and scheduled rides around the property. In the late 80s I was sales rep for Panasonic and my east Tennessee distributor had a dealer show there. Panasonic had just introduced a new VHS video camera (PV 330)with a super duper ccd lens. I talked my way into the cab of the locomotive for a ride under the quise that I wanted to video the firebox doors opening and closing as the fireman was shoveling in coal so I could demo to the dealers how quickly the ccd lens reacted to the very, very bright fire then back to regular lighting conditions as the doors closed. The camera worked as advertised, mopardave however, just about melted. I was dressed in a suit & tie and when those doors opened it got very, very hot in a nano second. A brighter, hotter fire I have never seen before or since.
Worthwhile to visit the place and see the displays if you get a chance. About a month ago I replayed that video. Amazing how much smaller electronic items  have gotten.
I love the steam locomotives.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
Steam buff here also. I live in a small town outside St Louis where the UP mainline and BNSF mainline tracks run parallel so we get quite a few trains every day. Trainwatchers are often seen at a crossing just outside of town as they can watch both mains easily Plus a road parallels the tracks downtown and there's both a city park and a commuter parking lot where trainwatching is done (the city park was set up for it). When a steam engine comes thru St Louis it usually comes thru here too. We also have a local Railroad Days weekend in August and had the UP Bigboy do a stop while it was on tour a couple of years ago 8).
I also live relatively close to the St Louis Museum of Transportation http://transportmuseumassociation.org/ which has over 70 locomotives. Very cool place to visit.
My mother-in-law's grandfather was the engineman on the D&H. He ran 0-8-8-0s (usually big coal trains) like these http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/photographs/steam/photographs_Class_H.htm except he ran the 1603 and then the 1609 after 1603 was wrecked (head-on collision). These could hold their own against most of the others out there. Here are some specs on the class H locos http://www.steamlocomotive.com/articulated/?page=dh

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here's a vid of the Alleghany Central running out of Covington in '84. This is their main loco, the 1238. The 1286 in the postcard above usually sat behind the 1238 at the station and I think eventually got too costly to run and was used for parts.

Old Films: Alleghany Central #1238 Covington, VA 1984

At around 2 minutes there is a shot of the train running behind trees in the distance a little. this is looking at the line across the Jackson River in Falling Springs. We had a nice camp on the river back then and could watch the train go up and down the line there. That line was part of the old passenger service that ran to The Homestead Resort in Hot Springs. Here in the city park in Covington, there is the old C&O #701 that ran that route for many years.

If you can stomach the early '80s music and general stupidity, here's a decent story on the Alleghany Central done for a crappy TV show:

Allegheny Railroad, Jack Showalter (6/25/1982)

Here is another of the Alleghany Central running in Maryland in '89, I assume after it shut down in Covington and was sold. It's obviously the same #1238 running but it's got great sound of it coming to the crossing and around the bend.

Allegheny Central Railroad

Can't help but notice how many people misspell "Alleghany" on the Internet. I know in other places it is spelled with an "e" but here, it is spelled with an "a" and anything related to this area using the Alleghany name should be spelled with an "a". Spelling it with an "e" is well, ghey. ;D

1 - 20 of 270 Posts