Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am someone who usually thinks stock is boring, and both cars and guns can be modified to be better.
That was until I held this. Made 1918 Colt. Just about perfect.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just about perfect.  I think you should find some nice and worn wood panels to replace those plastic ones with. 

Browning was a genius....but it took both him and Saive to make my favorite, the P35 aka Browning Hi-power. 

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
Its a model 1911, not 1918. The side panels are correct, so if you do find some nice custom ones, hang on to the old ones. Too bad someone ground off the markings on the frame. Careful work with a small file, or sharping stone, will clean up those buggered screws nicely. Careful work with a sharp awl, or file with a sharp point, could bring out the buggered lettering, but practice on as many other things as you can first.

Nice gun, I have several 11's, a1's, Gold cups, and a few other makes and shoot them all regularly. I love them over any of my 9mm's. Yea, I have more 45's, then I do Dodges, but I'm trying my best to fix that (No, not selling).

Have you checked the serial number, to be sure it is actually one made by Colt? Its not unheard of for people to swap parts.

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
Here is some good reading. Click on the titles.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
75whiskey200 said:
Just about perfect.

Browning was a genius....but it took both him and Saive to make my favorite, the P35 aka Browning Hi-power.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SuperBurban said:
Its a model 1911, not 1918.
Too bad someone ground off the markings on the frame.
Have you checked the serial number, to be sure it is actually one made by Colt?
I meant built 1918.
Markings are there just worn. See pic below.
According to Ser. # made by colt in 1918

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
GUT said:
I meant built 1918.
Markings are there just worn. See pic below.
According to Ser. # made by colt in 1918
Gottcha. Yea, its not as bad as the first pic looked.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I love a pistol with some well earned character! 
Here's a pistol that, IMO, is an "improved" 1911. 
A very early ParaOrdnance P14, with a lot of miles on it. 
Built from a kit, it sports a lot of Colt parts.
1911 shouldve been double stacked to begin with

Attachments

·
Administrator
62,267 Posts
When that Para Ordinance kit came out in the mid 80's, I had to have one. I built it basically stock, and then later picked up a 7" barrel that I was going to port, But then the store I worked at closed, I got married, and my life took another direction. I started carving some walnut hand grips for it, which also is sitting in my safe 1/4 done.

Looking back, it was a good thing for me the store closed. Getting stuff at cost was fun, but not great for the pocket book.

·
Registered
63 Posts
well I'm glad my dad bought this frame and built it.  My mom was probably pissed (IF she knew about it, that is), but now I have it! 

My dad had several 1911s that came and went.  But this one stuck around.
It's nice to hold a tangible memory of people who've passed and are missed. 

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haven't really "built" many guns, I would say I have assembled a few. Couple of ARs, and this one which started as a Remington Rand frame, to which I assembled a Sarco kit. For being a cheap kit it is a good shooter.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Mine's not old, but the design has got some miles on it. CZ P07 in urban grey. Fits my hand like it was molded for it...

My old guns are all revolvers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.