Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add this to my wish list 馃挅

Administrator
Yea, there is a bunch of good ones out there. I am still at the 3d printing, and laser cutting stage. Or I guess more accurately the dreaming of getting it going stage.

Registered
My job has a 3D printer for the proprietary equipment we use. I鈥檇 love to learn but it鈥檚 hands off for now.

Registered
The company I work for is R&D-ing printing gearbox/transmission housings for the aerospace industry instead machining castings.
I've done a little with castings for aerospace (very little) and I see how complex some of the gear boxes can get. Then they need to be machined for bearings and contact surfaces.
Wouldn't the 3D printed gear boxes still need to be machined for contact and bearing surfaces? And would it be cheaper and stronger than castings?
So far I am NOT impressed with 3D printing some parts (plastics). I have seen them explode under pressure. For some items, I think they still need to be fiberglass or carbon fiber layup.

Super Moderator
Yes, machining would still be necessary......and they would be printed with a metal of some kind (not sure what is available at this point, I assume Aluminum will be the primary material). Printing vs casting offers some easy solutions for some complexities within the casting. Definite advantages if it proves out.

Super Moderator
The other advantage would be cost savings from logistics, and labor (I assume). We are not a foundry, we do not make our own castings (we machine, perform chemical processing and NDT after receiving raw castings from our suppliers), but we could easily add 3D printing capability to our facility where adding a foundry is just not logical.

Registered
Yes, machining would still be necessary......and they would be printed with a metal of some kind (not sure what is available at this point, I assume Aluminum will be the primary material). Printing vs casting offers some easy solutions for some complexities within the casting. Definite advantages if it proves out.
It would certainly have less steps than casting and be a lot safer for the worker.

Registered
Project Leviathan
A professional in Industrial Additive Manufacturing enters the chat. lol Anything 3D Printing related can be brought to me if there is questions about it.

Registered
I need to add this to my wish list 馃挅

Fusion360 can be downloaded and used for free if you are just a hobbyist. I have it and have used it. You just have to know a friend with any one of the many machines it has in its database. Then you can design your own parts and have them made on their machine. My son uses Fusion and prints parts on his small 3D printers. He's building a wicked RC tank right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts