Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 78 pw with no a/c. i found a 76 pw today with factory a/c and was wondering if it would be possible to use that dash, heater and a/c box, and controls in my 78. how many more electrical connections are there (if any). would i have to use all new wiring or the stuff from the 76 or would it be possible to just power it with a fuse? any help would be greatly appreciated, i dont want to get in over my head.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
It can be done (doing on my 84) probally easiest to use the 76 dash and associated parts get as much stuff from the 76 as you can (if its a JY truck)

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
thats what i was gonna say... take EVERYTHING you can to set it up right!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
I would not use any of the junkyard system components - compressor, evap, condenser, and hoses. Buy everything new. It will cost you a pretty penny though, but it will be worth it. You don't know how long the system has been open and corroding from the inside, so it will save you tremedous hassle later on.

Matt {peace}

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
I did this exact conversion on my 79. I took the dash, heater box and everything. As far as wiring goes, you will need to hook up the wire that kicks on your A/C compressor. It goes from your switch in the dash to the Low Pressure cut-off switch, then to the A/C clutch. The only other electrical difference is that non-ac trucks fan speed selector had off-low-high. A/C fan selector is low-med-high. The resistor for this is located on the passenger side inside the truck under the dash. Get the wiring for that when you get the rest of the system. It's really not that hard and if you need help, just IM me and I can help you out.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i found out today that the truck is a 76 with a 440, 727, 203. it has factory air and dual tanks that, according to the previous owner, still work. it is pretty messy underneath and it has rust on the front fenders (in the usual locations). im wondering if i should just make that truck a driver and leave everything in there...any ideas?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The 76 sounds like a cool truck depending on the shape of you current truck I would consider just fixing the 76

1 - 7 of 7 Posts