Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 92 Dakota 4x4 with the mag. 318. I want to lift the truck about 6 inches. I am wondering if any one has seen a tourshion bar independent front end converted to a solid front axel with leaf springs. I think it can be done but I need I have not seen a conversion kit let alone a regular 6" lift kit for my truck. If any one has any info, Please pass it on.

Thanks

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
a freind did this about 10 years ago / she still has it / she uses it as a pro mud bog truck / she/they put a 78 ford front axle in to match the t-case output / her,s was an older one with a V6 / l,ll see if l can get some contactinfo for you

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You're on your own when it comes to converting from IFS to a solid axle. There isn't such thing as a "kit" for this. This mod will require alot of labor and will be alot like converting a 2wd to 4wd, except you'll already have a transfer case.

You need to make very specific plans and research everything in advance otherwise you may end up with a project that can't be completed, when something unforseen comes up (And something WILL come up, trust me on this)

There are two ways to do this conversion. I'm not going to get into every concieveable detail, but, you can remove the old suspension both front and rear, since you want the rear lifted. You're also gonna need a rear axle that matches the front axle width. You'll then need to fabricate spring hangers and shackles for the front and you'll need to have them spaced apart to match the spring pad width on the front axle. You cannot simply put the shackles and hangers anywhere because the spring pad on some front axles is part of the pumpkin casting and simply cannot be moved inward. You'll also be looking at steering, brakes, and driveshaft mods to make all of this work.

Another way to do this is to scrap the stock frame and drivetrain, and install a frame with solid axles. This will also be labor intensive as you will likely need to move your engine over to the new frame, fabricate body mounts, and alter the frame length to match your Dakota's wheelbase.

Ed

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I'ev seen a few of them done.. but all online.. I haven't gotten to examine one up close yet.. When the time comes I'm probably be doing that with the 2wd Dakota chassis that I've been dismantling . When I get down to bare chassis.. I'll find a divorced t-case and a pair of axles & springs.
I saw one that was on a RC chassis; the axle width looks good under a Dakota. and with less weight on it; I think a set that someone has pulled to go to D60's would be fine and reasonably priced. D44 and 9 1/4 could be regeared and locked with the money saved. I'm not sure which side the Dak 4x4 has the shaft on though. Most of the axles that you find it would oprobably be easier to relocate the spring perches to a more convenient position.
Also, Have you checked with www.dakota-truck.net? There are a couple of solid axle Daks over there.

·
2,317 Posts
there is a member here a little while back that had a rc drive line under a dak. look in the truck pics section for his truck.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Mokele Mbembe said:
Just a thought, but I wonder if the solid axles under a cherokee would be what would work best. :)
It would be a waste of time. The XJ Cherokee uses a smaller Dana 35 front axle with unit hubs. The Grand Cherokee did use a Dana 44, but it's the weakest version, using an aluminum housing and Dana 35 sized axleshafts and those ugly unit hubs.

Ed

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What side does the pumpkin need to be at on the front axle..? From memory I was thinking pass side.. if so, I think that's why a couple have been done with Ford axles, if on drivers side.. I'd still say a get a set from a RC that someone has laying around.. May be able to get springs and all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts