Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site, and it has been a lot of help.

I just bought a '89 Ramcharger 4x4 from a friend. It was his brother's, but he died a couple years ago. It has been setting up for the past 5 years or so. I got a good deal on it, so I can spend some money on it. It is in great shape, no rust or anything. I want to build a mud truck out of it.
Looking to put on some 38" swampers and 10" lift or so with 4.56's and maybe a locker or something of that type next summer or so.

But anyways, I don't know yet if it is a 318 or 360. I haven't went to get it yet, but it is right here in my town. I want to convert the fuel injection back to a carb setup. What problems will I run into if I decide to go this route?
Will have have problems with the ECM???

I appreciate any help and I am glad I found this site.

Justin

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
It can be done. If it is a 360 TBI then you could sell the stuff you take off on here because plenty of guys are wanting to swap 318's to 360's and keep the TBI. 318 and 360's use different trottle bodies and injectors, different intake and different computer.

To swap to a carb you need to get a carb manifold and carb. You will need a fuel pressure regulator as the electric fuel pump puts out around 15 psi. The carb needs 6 psi. Do away with the computer all together and use either Mopar Performance electronic ignition kit or get the same stuff from a junk yard vehicle.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
yes it can be done, but why? you will need a new intake, new ignition system, new fuel pump or a regulator, and some other things i cant think of right now. if the TBI works, i would leave it alone.

Duane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tight! I am glad it will work if I decide too do the swap.

The reason why I would do it is because it wouldn't cost me all that much on the swap. I want to drive something I can work on and EFI isn't something I like. I hate all of that electronic crap.

An ignition, distributor, intake, carb, (want to change the cam and lifters too) and regulator will cost me around $1000 in parts give or take. Not only will I do away with all that EFI crap, but I will gain a lot in power. And the engine compartment will look a lot cleaner too and be easier to work on if need be.

And me wanting to put 38" swampers on it, I will need more power, so I will knock out 2 birds with 1 stone.

Justin

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
if $1000 isnt much, then share the wealth :). but if its is a 360 TBI, im interested in the parts. since you think a carb will be better, might as well sell the TBI stuff, right?

Duane

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CLRracer said:
if $1000 isnt much, then share the wealth :). but if its is a 360 TBI, im interested in the parts. since you think a carb will be better, might as well sell the TBI stuff, right?

Duane
That's right. I will let you guys know how it comes out. First I need to drain and change all the fluids, change the plugs and wires and get all the fuel out of the fuel system and tank and put in fresh gas and get a new battery. I want to get it running the way it is now. That way I know everything works and if/when I do the carb swap, I can verify that all the electronics and stuff worked. Then I will go back and do my thing.

And yes, $1000 isn't that much to me considering what all parts I get and how much more power I get out of the swap.

Justin

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
after spending 1k$, i hope you are not too disappointed in your power gains. but good luck --sheriff--

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
;D ;D seems as tho there is info. +++ .... i am running a 410 w/ a tbi in the 89 ,seems to work for me. . cl saw it run @ rj ..it does well.. some things i dont like .but have been able to live w/ it .. it dosent care what angle you are in ,it still runs. if fuel system shoots craps you can still dump fuel in to get home .. just little things

bad part is NO ONE seems to know anything about the tbi.. especialy the factory .. they call it the bastard step child [just today] in fact... there is build up info in the factory mag. that came in sat.. and i have been trying to get info .for 3 yrs or so.. all of mine has been hands on..

my 02 quinn

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
JBlackwell said:
And yes, $1000 isn't that much to me considering what all parts I get and how much more power I get out of the swap.

Justin
How much more power will you get out of the swap? You might consider giving the FI setup a chance. For one thing, it's on there and it works. It has advantages over a carb. It will work better on steep angles as you're wheeling. You can turn the key and drive away when it's cold. You can always improve the computer. ;)

If you do swap a carb, in addition to what's been mentioned, you'll need to change the throttle cable and the kickdown linkage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I for one perfer Carb over the TBI, of course thats just my opinion. If Im going injection, Im going all the way. Anyways, It can be done, most everyone here has the parts you'll need. Hit the junkyard for most of them (early 80's models). If you can afford it, get a good card, like the Holly Truck Avenger, buddy has one of those, loves it.

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
trust me on this, the TBI is better than the truck avenger.

Duane

·
Registered
561 Posts
rampar410 said:
;D ;D seems as tho there is info. +++ .... i am running a 410 w/ a tbi in the 89 ,seems to work for me. . cl saw it run @ rj ..it does well.. some things i dont like .but have been able to live w/ it .. it dosent care what angle you are in ,it still runs. if fuel system shoots craps you can still dump fuel in to get home .. just little things

bad part is NO ONE seems to know anything about the tbi.. especialy the factory .. they call it the bastard step child [just today] in fact... there is build up info in the factory mag. that came in sat.. and i have been trying to get info .for 3 yrs or so.. all of mine has been hands on..

my 02 quinn
Quinn,
Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm running a 366 with TBI and a custom Crower roller and have a few quirks I'd like to iron out.. Can you email me so we can discuss solutions?
Thanks,
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts