Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this truck from the weeds...we went through the fuel system and got the old 318 to fire up and I actually drove it around some with the ignition working fine...suddenly it quit working...nothing from the ignition..I can jump across the solenoid and it turns over just fine...swapped motors..replaced the ignition starter switch...(which I have had issues with before) and replaced the relay and nothing...still arc across works but nothing from the ignition switch..did the ammeter bypass while I was in there but still have not found our problem..does anyone have the schematics for the switch?..or the whole truck...googled and went through pages of bs and never found one that could be read..any hep would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
fuseable link? When you sign into RCC, look at the menu on the left and about the 7th or 8th choice down will be the photo gallery. Use the search function inside the photo gallery and there's a 77 wiring diagram on three (?) separate pages/pictures. What I don't know is how different the 76 wiring is from 77...I would think they would be pretty similar but {noclue}

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellers! We have the solenoid done right I think...lol it is actually the switch in the column...the key switch actuates another switch in the column beside it...it is a generic switch and the color codes are different...and once they come through the firewall they change colors ..so what I really need to know is what does what in that switch assembly....the nuetral safety switch has been bypassed somehow alsoaeding to the confusion.. once again thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
neutral saftey switch ( automatic) ground wire at relay ( stick)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What a pita...there is no direct replacement and damned if I can find anything from the jackasses that make the replacement switch..none of the wires are the correct colors nor are they arranged the same looking at the back....my idea of "direct replacement" and theirs are way far apart....so a week later and still have no working ignition...has anybody used one of these Standard US-88 replacement switch...if you did what the hell did you hook to what!? lol time for a beer.
DODGEBOYS said:
here you go
This gives me the Dodge side..thanks

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

On the port side...you have yur direct replacement...starboard would be the factory unit. The instructions said some applications do not use the 18 gauge black wire....that is the extent of the instructions.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
any qualified auto electrican should be able to "pin out" a switch easily for you with an ohmmeter  or test light .. If he does both your old one and the replacement and draws you a diagram ...    power in , key "on" out,  key "acc" out,    key "start" out .....  THE other possibility ,  take that part name , and number look on the puter at the company web site for a diagram of that switch ? 

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The whole pin out thing I understand...if you know what the main power in is...how would one determine that?

·
Administrator
62,266 Posts
The power in, is the one that connects to the other contacts in all but the off position.

In the run position, you will have a connection between power to the run and acc contacts.

In the ACC position, you will only a connection between the power and the acc,

In the off pos, there should be no connection between any of the contacts.

In the start pos, you will have a connection between the power in, and the starter relay, and the ignition start contacts, no connection to the ignition run contact.

·
Registered
65 Posts
brushhippie said:
Got this truck from the weeds...we went through the fuel system and got the old 318 to fire up and I actually drove it around some with the ignition working fine...suddenly it quit working...nothing from the ignition..I can jump across the solenoid and it turns over just fine...swapped motors..replaced the ignition starter switch...(which I have had issues with before) and replaced the relay and nothing...still arc across works but nothing from the ignition switch..did the ammeter bypass while I was in there but still have not found our problem..does anyone have the schematics for the switch?..or the whole truck...googled and went through pages of bs and never found one that could be read..any hep would be greatly appreciated!
Two words. Ballast resistor. I'm getting back to old Mopars after not having had one for a few years. I would always carry an extra ballast resistor wrapped in a towel in my tool box. You DO NOT wire the power supply direct. The power to the coil is reduced. Too much and you can burn the coil out. Coils do fail. Especially if they get help.

Before you go tearing everything apart, look at the simple things first. Ballast resistor, coil and brain box.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We ended up replacing the relay and the ignition starter switch..and tracked down a few odd rat chewins and it all came together after finally finding the schematic from the company who made the switch...different colors different locations..pita...next! Many thanks folks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.