Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:( I am in need of some serious help. I have a 77 Dodge Ram Pickup and it is backfiring out of both exhaust pipes (there is no equalizer tube). These are some violent backfires. The truck starts up and within seconds starts to backfire. It wasn't doing that until I tried to test the vacuum advance. Any ideas? PLEASE HELP

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's your timing one way or another you could have even jumped a tooth on your timing chain but I don't think so more than likely your vacum advance I would just go to junk yard and grab another one and try that rather than screwing with it pretty cheap

·
7,995 Posts
Maybe one of the parts inside the distributor is broken or gummed up. This happens...take out the dist and clean the inside out and relube it...check for broken springs or gummed up weights or other problems.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Yeah, I chased a back fire problem for a few days and finally found out that the "rebuilt" distributor I bought was afu.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Is/Was your vacuum advance hose hooked up to manifold vacuum by chance? If it is/was, your timing is WAY off. Reset the base timing with the vac advance disconnected and plugged/capped.

-SM

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Then it is probably the dist. (If you have a vac gauge I would check that port on the back of the carb to verify it is a ported source, not manifold vac, unless you have a carb diagram verifying which vacuum fitting is ported vacuum). Do as Chump suggested--clean up the dist.

-SM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts