Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded something the other day that really screwed my computer up. Now it locks up all the time and I get those Blue Screens that say my system is busy, and when I cut my computer on it says that my primary IDE controller is operating outside of normal specifications and to replace my hard disc.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this? I have alot of stuff on here that I don't want to have to replace, like 700 songs. I can't burn the songs to save them because I have that crappy Roxio easy CD creator and it won't make a good quality cd to save its life.

If anyone knows what could be happening please let me know. And could you recommed a good cd burning program, which I don't think I should have to buy since a brand new computer should have software that works when you buy it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
720 Posts
a legitimate error message would never tell you to replace your hard drive. sounds maybe like a virus.

as for getting free software with a new computer...ummm...unless you are talking about the cd software that should run the burner that came with the computer. see if you can get a copy from Nero rom burning. its not free but it does ship with quality cd burners so ask some friends if they have it. good program.

and its possible the cd burner itself is the pile unless the software you have doesn't run - didn't make yourself to clear what's going on there cause you maybe runnning into the blue screen problem - which is a hard program crash.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I downloaded an upgrade for audiogalaxy before I found out it no longer works, then I downloaded iMesh and then an upgrade for Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. One of them messed it up. The error that shows up when the PC is turned says that Dells disk monitoring system has found a error on drive 0 on the primary IDE controller.

When the PC locks up I can't even turn it off by using Shut Down or any other method, it won't cut itself off. It will say that it is going to shut down but it never does, the screen goes black but the PC stays on. I have to cut the power off on the power strip and then cut it back on to restart it.

I am currently using Kaaza for file sharing does anyone know if you can delete the spyware out it. That is can you delete the spyware within the program and it still work properly.

I think that when you buy a new computer that the software should work without having any problems, which mine doesn't. That is why I am not very happy about needing to buy a different cd burner program, just because the one that came on my PC is shitty.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sonds like a virus for sure. Need to backup the critical files you want saved and format the drive. However the backed up files will need to be scanned to make sure there clean before copying them back to the drive.

·
Registered
720 Posts
'adware' is a program that detects and removes spyware. free at places like www.download.com

http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=adware&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go%21+
ad-ware 5.83

kazaa does not work when the spyware is removed. i use www.winmx.com

as far as your other problem, it doesn't sound like a virus after that info. i remember trying audiogalaxy and it also blew up on my system. that was a while ago and i don't recall much.

now, your dell message can be looked at a couple ways:
1. the hard drive actually has an error or bad sector on the disk. run scandisk and defrag to verify the status of your drive. they may also fix your bad areas(bad data) if they are fragmented or lost clusters, etc. if you have bad sectors(actual disk damage), your drive is toast.

2. whatever the monitoring program is that dell uses could be wrong. i remember alot of people using a prog called 'first aid' and it called alot of errors on things - it also cuased the dreaded blue screen. don't know why i need a prog to tell me if my system is ok or not, but then i have a fews years of troubleshooting.

i personally hate the crap that dell, gateway, hp, etc put on their systems. if i had to get new, i would reformat the drive and do a fresh os install - but then i've built every puter i've had and i've done it numerous times.

if your os is that screwed up, reformatting the drive and reinstalling the operating system is the fastest way to fix - and you know you should have no problems.

i presume you've uninstalled all suspected offending software and it still is flakey. i would then go into the registry file and see if there are any 'leftovers' from those installs. could also have some lines in your config.sys files and win.ini files that are looking for those programs that aren't there anymore. it sucks when poorly written code ruins the os.

one tip for helping ease the horror of reinstalling your os is to have a couple partitions on the hard drive(2 will work nice). i have 3, a C, D and E partition. everything i want to save i put on my e drive - docs, music, install files, etc. i install all my games and programs on d. i try to leave the c drive for the os only but that's not always possible. using this method i can reformat my c partition and the d and e are left untouched with all my files. no hassles trying to back stuff wondering how recent it was last done.

these are some things to consider. its hard to troubleshoot a computer ya can't touch. good luck.

G

·
I had the same problem on the computer I just got rid of. I usually am very careful about waht and where I download stuff from the 'net, but my wife and kids aren't. Something my oldest son downloaded messed up my computer and was causing the same problems you describe. My HD eventually quit working so I had to pay $120.00 to the local PC Gurus to transfer my operating system to the other hard drive I had installed a year ago. It really pissed me off because I had already put a new HP computer on layaway at Wal-mart.

I agree with running scandisk and defrag. Run scandisk first and make sure the automatically fix errors box is checked and the thorough box is checked and then run defrag. You can set the programs to run at night while you are sleeping by using task scheduler if you want.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey...

If your computer was working fine before you installed some software (and a virus is not causing the problem), then why don't you just restore Windows to an earlier point? There are different procedures for different Windows OS releases, but if some poorly written software, etc. causes system instability, just restore your system/run system file checker.

As long as you can get into Windows and have it not crash for 5 minutes or so, you should be in business.

I run Kazaa without any spyware running. I hate spyware... GRRR...

Hope this helps...

Jay

P.S.-- If you don't have anti virus software on your computer, I reccommend AVG Anti Virus. They release new virus updates almost daily. It has worked successfully for me for many many months. And, best of all... It's free for a limited time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I do have some comments. What registry file are you looking for? An on the subject of the error, this is a legit error message. I've seen it before. It was probably caused by the Roxio update, as they are known to cause many problems with computers (I know from experience). For burning cds, the best software is Nero. Get it here http://www.ahead.de/en/ If anyone has problems with that software, let me know. As far as kazaa, I mentioned in a previous thread that Kazaa-Lite is spyware free. http://www.kazaalite.nl/ . Lastly, you should check the Lavasoft website frequently, as they often release a new reference file for Ad-aware.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I would be very careful using kaaza when you install that new hard drive. There are lots of trojan's and virus running around there. There's a program called TDS-3 Professional that I use to scan for trojan's and it works well. The website is: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have to pay for that anti trojan software. If I do put kazaa on my new hard disk it will be Kazaalite.

I am using WinMX right now but I don't really like it. The downloads are slow and it seems to slow my computer down if it is running and I am on the internet at the same time, even if I am not downloading anything.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
That program is 50 bucks. I'm sure you can search and find some free ones. Check out http://www.download.com. There is a lot of freeware and shareware software on that site. They also have good reviews of everything. As for kazaalite, you can still get a trojan virus because some people put them in the programs that are being downloaded. I got one from an mp3 that I downloaded a few months ago. You just have to be careful. But, then again that is the risk we take to get free music. What is the setup on your computer? It sounds like you might need more ram. More ram would allow you to run more programs at the same time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Kazaa....and Kazaa-lite..with the 2.0 release has integrated a anti-virus scan into their application. I'm not sure how well it works, but it's there. I use Norton SystemWorks 2003 for my anti-virus program. They also introduced this evil concept of a participation level. It's based on how many files you share, and how much people download off of you. It's easily bypassed with hacks and 3rd party programs though ;)

The Burning Rom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts