Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand why my clock shows the wrong time so often. I just reset it about a week ago and had to do it again this morning. It was almost an hour slow. What is up with that? Any ideas?
Timbo

·
Super Moderator
2,405 Posts
your clock keeps changing time?? that doesnt sound good. I have only seen that one other time and that was at Penn station in NYC....the electric motors from the trains reeked havoc on the poor computers...

sorry dont really have an anwer for you

Pat

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No trains here...I don't know either.
The other day the date had even changed!
Timbo

·
Super Moderator
2,405 Posts
I assume that you shut down your computer at night...the only thing i can think of is that there is a small battery on the mother board that might be bad....how old is the computer? I do have to admit that i have very rarely heard of those batteries going bad...

Hope that helps

Pat

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
as Pat said:

if the time changes over night after shutting down the machine my first guess would be the little battery, it's just like a little flat, round battery like the ones in watches. This battery is keeping the internal clock running, when the machine is shutdown and of course as one can imagine, this battery can run down over time.
Usually they're easy to change, depends a little on the mainboard/motherboard of your pc.

G

·
The internal battery on a computer is designed to run "about" ten years. If your computer is close to ten years old that is most likely the problem. Of course, it could just be a bad battery from the factory if the CPU is newer than ten years. Change it and see if it helps, they're not expensive but I've never changed one so I can't explain how to do it. Maybe someone else can.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'll check the battery. The 'puter is only 2 1/2 years old. But you never know.
Thanks again.
Timbo

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
wycowboy said:
The internal battery on a computer is designed to run "about" ten years. If your computer is close to ten years old that is most likely the problem. Of course, it could just be a bad battery from the factory if the CPU is newer than ten years. Change it and see if it helps, they're not expensive but I've never changed one so I can't explain how to do it. Maybe someone else can.
every computer is different, but in general:
if you open the box, there is one large board, on which multiple smaller ones are. you can't really miss it, it's one board on which everything else is.
somewhere on this board is a small, flat round battery, that's the one....just look what kind (number) it is, get a new one at radioshack and change it and see what happens....

it's probably a good idea and helpful if you have a manual for your so-called mainboard. then you can locate it easier, might look a little irritating with all the wires and stuff....

·
Super Moderator
8,517 Posts
wycowboy said:
The internal battery on a computer is designed to run "about" ten years.
Damn, I wish my batteries would last 10 years. Its been my experience that they actually go bad in about 3-5 years, so Timbo, at 2.5 years, you're almost in the ball park. The battery in my PC has been going bad for about a year now, but it doesn't give me any grief unless the power goes out, then I have to go back in and reset my whole bios and clock.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
True, the older motherboards have a flat coin cell battery that you can get at Radio Shack and replace yourself. Most of the newer systems however have the battery built in to the top of a flash chip or EEPROM. Those you can't change, but they should last 10 years, unlike the coin batteries.

Another thing you could try is to find a freeware internet clock synchonizer. Windows XP has this feature built in, but I used to use a little freeware program that worked great with Windows 95 and 98. What it does is go get the atomic clock time from NASA or a local college, and then sets your clock to match. Just some more FYI.

G

·
I've had my current computer since Windows 98 was a new thing and my previous computer had Windows 3.11 on it. I've never had to change the battery in either one although my neice now has the older one. She did have the battery changed as a precaution about 6 month's ago. I would say, tv-larson, if your's are only lasting 3 years you have another problem which is causing them to wear out prematurely.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had a similar type problem when I was using Windows ME. Clock would loose about 2 hours a week. Changed the battery still didn't help. Whenever I rebooted time would Sync with BIOS, but then would start loosing time again. Got tired of it and upgraded to Win 2000 Pro, no problem since.

my .02

·
Registered
849 Posts
i suprisingly have the exact opposite problem with my computer, i almost never shut mine down and my clock loses around an hour or so a day. but if i restart my computer the time magically goes back to normal. but hell i don't care if the clock is wrong lol.
shawn

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
my computer does the same thing as doc's. If I leave it on for a week, it loses time, but as soon as I shut down, or restart, it magically resets to the proper time.

BTW, I use an ol crappy IBM laptop.

G

·
Referring to reply #8 - If you do decide to replace your battery, if at all possible do it with the computer on. Be careful not to touch or bump anything unnecessarily.

It's okay to do this, on mine anyway, because the regular on line power supplies will hold everything up while you pull the battery.

The reason for this is to avoid having to reenter your BIOS settings.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Timbo I will hazard a guess and that is if you are running WIN ME. Even though you haven't had any major problems with the computer no matter what the BIOS is set at time wise if the WIN ME registry is fugged it will always be an hour slow. I have run into it way too many times. 2 options and that is a fresh install (which I do every year on all of my machines) or an upgrade if the hardware can handle it - memory and CPU speed - You never know as Santa may have XP Pro and 2000 Pro :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts