Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some ideas regarding compasses for automotive and hiking use.

For hiking, I'm thinking about the Silva Ranger CL, as I have read some great reviews about the longevity and simplicity of these compasses. The price is also within reason at $50.00 around here. Does anybody have any experience with this type or another that they could provide input on?

Now, about auto compasses. I want something reasonably affordable and durable, but simple. Does anybody have a automotive compass they use and can recommend? I've seen a lot of cheasy looking designs and have even looked into using old aircraft compasses. What I would also like is something that may have an altimeter as well.

Any advice/information is very appreciated.

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The Silva is a nice unit, but I like the Recta, a swiss made compass (guess they're marketed by Suunto over here), a little better for a couple of reasons: they actually are in a little box that is very sturdy and doesn't break, at least I haven't managed on any tour.
The main thing though what I like about those Rects/Suunto is the sighting: the mirror flaps out on the bottom and it easier for me to adjust my course that way: can keep looking at the target over the compass, see the bearing on the bottom in the mirror and adjust with the other hand.

Both have the adjustable declinitation, which is good. Should you ever think of going to the southern hemisphere, remember you will need a different compass. Recta/Suunto has one, the DP-65, that you can use in either hemisphere because the magnet is not directly on the needle.

Disadvantagous of the Recta/Suunto might be the not so-long continuous side line of the compass which makes it a little harder to plot a course on the map, but it's doable. Pricewise it should be about the same, 50-60 bucks.

For the truck, I have a Silva C58, which is a nice, big unit, with LED lightning, easy to read, easy to adjust, easy to use. Haven't mounted it back again for a while, since I have no real need for it while driving to and from school, but I might put it back on before I hit the road again this summer. Can't remember the price, sorry, but I'm sure you can find it on google somewhere.

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
The Ranger CL and the Suunto MC-2G, are both good. The Silva is probably the best buy as it's a little cheaper. I have both of them. I also have a Brunton 8099 Pro Eclipse which I like best of all, it's more accurate, and has a few more 'bells and whistles', but costs a lot more.
Don't really know anything about the car compasses - if I'm driving out in the woods and become unclear about where I'm going, I stop, and get out the maps, compass, and GPS and figure it out.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I have a Silva Ranger and a Suunto (don't know the model #). I've had the Suunto since I was 16. I have used it a lot. I bought the Silva last fall cause the Suunto is worn. The compass part works well, but the mirror broke a few years back and all the numbers, etc, have worn off the base plate. I use my compass a lot in conjunction with a topo map, so I like to be able to use the correct scale to read utm coordinates. I can use the Ranger as a roamer. I use the Suunto as a back-up now. I paid $53 for the Silva Ranger.

As far as an automobile compass, I have no experience with any except the one that came with my 99 Ram I used to have (on the rear view mirror), sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts