Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70 Fury III with a 318. Well, being that old with 125,000 miles and who knows how it was taken care of before me, blew a hole on the side of the timing chain cover between the water pump and the block. I had already picked up a elderbrock performer intake and a carter afb carb as well as a high flow water pump from MPP. Since I was this far into the engine, I figured that I might as well put a little bit of a cam in it as well. I got on the internet and did a little research and found that the local Checker had a Comp Cams part #20-223-3 grind #CRS XE268H-10. I went and got it and put it in. I already had a set of MPP lifters . After I got everything together and started it, I had a really bad tap, kinda like a colapsed lifter. I figured that since these lifters been sitting in the original unopened MPP package for almost 8 years, that they got rust inside them or went bad somehow. So I went down to Autozone and got a set of new lifters and put them in. Same thing. My dad stuck his head under the hood with the valve covers off and said that the rockers were making the noise, not the lifters. So I grabbed one of the rockers and sure enough, I had about 1/4" play AT THE VALVE. The stock cam made no noise at all, that eliminated the thought that the valve train was wore out. So when I got home I fired off an email to Comps cams and told them what I had found. They called me and I told them in person what I had found and I was told "that some cams have a different base circle and that they recamend adjustable rockers" So, now I have to either get adjustable rockers, or get longer pushrods. I would not recamend Comp, cams unless you are going to or already have adjustable rockers. Even with adjustable rockers, I think you will still need to get longer pushrods being how much play is at the valve. After searching their site, they have the same lift and duration in ford and chevy cams. So, the base circle might work on them, but not on mopar.

In closing, you've been warned.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
As a general rule it's recommended that you don't mix cam, lifter and pushrod manufacturers. Most aftermarket cams for Dodge are chevy grinds anyways. I bought a Hughes for mine and like it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just got back from the Chrysler at Carlisle.  While I was their, I picked up a set of factory adjustable rockers for a small block.  I'm going to put them in tomarrow, hopefully, and I'll see how things turn out.  I wanted to get a hughes cam, but when and how things happened, I got what was avalible.  Looking back at how long the car has been sitting and not running, I could've ordered a hughes cam and it would've been up and running weeks ago.  But, this is how lessons are learned I guess.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
How about did you prime the lifters, i consistently used atleast 40 different comp cams and never ever had that problem

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
A lifter without being bled you will be able to push the rocker and pushrod into it with no effort at all

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I finaly got things back together.  I have had a few major set backs with the funds ( father inlaw had open heart surgery, and my dad had a kidney opperation ).  All in all, the cam really woke that little 318 up.  I runs strong all through the RPM range.  Maybe it was just my engine that had the problems with the rockers rattling.  A guy that I work with put the same cam in his 360 and had no problems at all.  I'm not saying that it's a bad grind, just that you might have to use adjustible rockers.
    Duffy,

·
Registered
310 Posts
This is a perfect example of why you need to take these reviews with a grain of salt. You should retitle this as Comp. cams possible problem! So it turns out the cam doesnt suck huh? Go figure. They have been in business a long time. Everytime I see this title I get mad about it.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
phate said:
You should retitle this as Comp. cams possible problem!
did and done{cool}

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
phate said:
This is a perfect example of why you need to take these reviews with a grain of salt. You should retitle this as Comp. cams possible problem! So it turns out the cam doesnt suck huh? Go figure. They have been in business a long time. Everytime I see this title I get mad about it.
Yeah i never ever had a problem with them either

1 - 11 of 11 Posts