Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my column shifter comes out of park without the key inserted, is that usually an issue with the ignition lock cylinder or a more of a bushing in the linkasomewhere?

Mine comes out of park, but fotunately won't start unless it's in park.

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
206 Posts
.Comes out as in if you move it by hand? thats normal my 75 also lacks the lock which I imagine that the cars got. never been a priority to fond one that does have it to swap parts over

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, I don't have to put the key in, but can move the selector to any of the gears.

I didn't realize that was not an issue, assumed that they all would stay in park unless the key was in it. Interesting.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,367 Posts
My '70 Road Runner with a 4 speed and '70 Duster with 4 speed and '72 Scamp with an auto and my '79 truck with an auto all lock the shifter and steering wheel.

Reactions: jcm3

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your column shifter should lock, there is a spring loaded lever that the ignition lock operates
Got it. Do you think that indicates that I need a new ignition cylinder lock, or are they just complimentary?

I'll pull it apart and have a look.

·
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,367 Posts
No. The ignition switch is not responsible for locking your wheel, it is a separate unit. You need to pull your steering wheel off and look at what is going on in there. The lock unit is a spring loaded lever mechanism that drops down into a slot on the lock wheel on the steering shaft. See picture for the lock and lock wheel on the steering shaft.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No. The ignition switch is not responsible for locking your wheel, it is a separate unit. You need to pull your steering wheel off and look at what is going on in there. The lock unit is a spring loaded lever mechanism that drops down into a slot on the lock wheel on the steering shaft. See picture for the lock wheel on the steering shaft.
Is it that little bar at the 9 o'clock position?

·
6,367 Posts
I circled it in red in a new photo but yes, its in the 9 o'clock position in relationship to to how the column is sitting in the picture. In the truck it will be in the 12 o'clock position approximately.

·
Registered
31,104 Posts
the way it works is it locks the steering wheel and the shifter housing [ but it's just pot metal and the stop could be broken ] if your steering wheel still locks

·
6,367 Posts
That's true, I've seen the column break inside around the arm pin and lock area before also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm sure it's been said before but what year did the locks become standard? Mine has no evidence of a lock and at some point I decided that was normal in the older ones.

·
6,367 Posts
In the cars - 1970
In the truck's - 1972 with the new body style change.

Someone may have swapped your column at one time or removed the lock mechanism as it is held in the collar area with just two screws and the ring could be removed with a little work also. All of the trucks from '72 on has the key in the column and not the dashboard and all came with a lock mechanism in them as regulated by DOT laws everywhere.

Reactions: DODGEBOYS and jcm3

·
Registered
206 Posts
Interesting. I assume thats steering and shifting? Perhaps I should look for those parts. Any reason they are a good idea besides anti theft

·
6,367 Posts
Correct. The lock mechanism locks the steering and the shifter. Its only purpose is for anti theft, you dont need it to lock if you dont care or aren't worried about someone swiping your truck.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Correct. The lock mechanism locks the steering and the shifter. Its only purpose is for anti theft, you dont need it to lock if you dont care or aren't worried about someone swiping your truck.
Awesome since I'm the only one who has hot wired and driven my truck away I'll hold off until after bodywork and finding a good way to hide a key

1 - 18 of 18 Posts