Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 81RC i have a 360 on a NP435. But in see there is no tranny access plate on the floor like there is in the 70s models.
So should I pull the engine or drop the gearbox/t-case?

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
that depends on if you have an engine hoist or a tranny jack handy,, lol, i think the engine is easier, but I own a hoist, also even if there were an access plate to the tranny you wouldnt be able to pull the clutch without removing the eng or tranny/case, it would be easier to pull the bolts, but still not much help other than that, I have one of them plates from a 70's truck if you want to cut out the hole and put it in,,lol

·
Registered
30,144 Posts
its so much easier to lift the motor and spin it in the engine bay to change the clutch / plus while its up you can fix that leaky rear main seal and put that new oil pump in you always wanted to do / that or go ahead and drop that NP435 on yer head / you wont like that much

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It is easier to remove the 4 bolts from the trans to the bell housing and the motor mounts and just pull the motor forward, remove the fan and shroud w/rad and pull the motor forward till it clears the input shaft and then drop the flywheel and clutch, don't bother with the bellhousing leave it on the motor

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I went the engine route. Ya that bigg ass lump of iron tranny looked to scary from under there. Any way there were a few things I wanted to replace on the motor anyway like the leaking seal and Those three top bell housing bolts are a BITCH!!! We removed the engine but ran out off daylight cuz I kept watching Nascar. And of course I blew off Saturday cuz of the Angels and Dodgers. I just trew it in the back of the RC.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You don't need to remove the bellhousing, but since you already did

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the oil seal on the engine was good, no leaks. But there was some grease that contaminated the clutch. Cant figure out where the grease came from. The Throwout bearing was covered in it. Maybe the Throwout bearing went bad and leaked. Maybe the dip shit mechanic that did the last clutch change put grease on the shaft spines or where the bearing slides on the shaft. Dunno. Any ways It was a bitch finding the throwout bearing anyplace. So if you plan on a chutch change get the parts first...I finally found a mom and pop auto parts that had one in the bigger store and they could get it for me tomorrow. Cool cuz the best any of the Kragens ot Auto zone s could do was Monday or Tuesday. Dude the engine hoist is 30 bucks a day and NEXT WEEKEND IS QUAIL SEASON!!!! Gotta get this done NOW!!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Does the NP435 have an input shaft seal?? perhaps you need to take a closer look there while it's apart.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts