Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 88 RC 4X4 I get a heavy thud/clunk when coming out of park into rev or drive. The RC has only 59 k actual verified miles. Someone suggested to take out the driveshaft and pack grease into the spline area where the driveshaft slides into the tailshaft housing on the rear of the trans. Is the clunk coming from the trans, driveshaft or rear end? I know you haven't heard it but is this a common problem?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Rear end

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My '85 RC does the same thing. The first suspect is the slip spline on the driveshaft. Mine looked like new. All new U joints, rear end is tight. I turned the output shaft from the xfer case when I had the driveshaft out and there was almost a half turn of slop. There is a problem with the xfer case or tranny it looks like.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Here is how to quickly and easily narrow it down a bit. Crawl under and check the u-joint(s) on the shaft for sloppyness. Next put some blocks on the front tires, but the tranny and t-case in neutral with the e-brake off and jack the back end up. Try spinning the tires now, if you feel an uneven amout of force apposing you I'd be looking at the diff, otherwise likely the tranny.

Its possible but not likely the t-case. If you'd like put the t-case in 2h with the back end still up and the tranny in neutral and see how the tires spin.

Pat

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like your describing *every* ramcharger, dodge truck I've ever owned with a corporate 9.25. Incidentally that would be at least 11 ramchargers alone. Including my new to me 90 with then 56K and my father in laws 86 with 226K. Rear end clunks firmly into Reverse and then back into Drive. I was told this was absolutely normal for a 9.25 axle even when new and it was a quirk with the way the diff was set up from the factory.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i would agree with *trojmn* on that one. practically every truck with the 9 1/4 has a noticable clunk when being put into gear. especially from the 70's because of the 203 cases. that means all gears in trans/t-case/axles are linked and that accumulates into the clunk.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
yeah mine does when shifting into reverse.always has.thats the one way to tell that im shifting into reverse

·
2,317 Posts
Evildriver-3 said:
marty is correct. its called pinion slap. do to the pinion to ring gear depth is off. its normal with the 9 1/4. ::)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
bigdog440 said:
Evildriver-3 said:
marty is correct. its called pinion slap. do to the pinion to ring gear depth is off. its normal with the 9 1/4. ::)
I'ts not always pinion slap. Mine (limited slip) did the same thing, and it turned out to be caused by wear in the clutch cones inside the diff. Backlash was fine before disassembly. Put a new diff in, and she was good to go.

Dan

·
Registered
99 Posts
I'm like most others - I've never heard one with a 9 1/4 that didn't clunk. My 84 does it all the time when I change from P to R, R to D, P to D... If it really slams hard I would be checking it out though.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Mine does it too. Also a 9.25.,,,,Cruisin

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
My PW and my TD both do it. Rear end. Sounds like shit but ain't hurtin' nuthin.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Got rid of most of mine when I replaced the slip yoke on the rear driveline. Part was in stock and $60 at the local driveline shop.
Climb under your truck when someone (that you trust) shifts the tranny from P to D to R and back. Watch the drive shaft and associated
parts.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Mine does that too.
It's an 82. It's just old and worn.
It doen't do it if I set the E-brake. Like when you stop to park and you have the brake in put it in park, set the e-brake then let off the normal brake. I found when I park the truck settles in gear then it very hard to shift out of park and it clunks.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
my 84 clunks when you shift it from park to drive too,
i wouldnt worry about it if i were you just about all dodges with a 9 1/4 do it.
even my dads 98 durango clunks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts