Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 94 Dodge ram 2500 diesel looks like a compact truck compared to my buddy's 2007 Dodge ram 2500 mega cab.Obviously the mega cab is much bigger but so is the width and height of the truck.Got me thinking, how big are todays trucks vs their ancestors from 30 years ago.

1990 toyota truck extended cab(biggest one you could get)
121.9" wheelbase, 199" length,66.5" width, 61.4" height

2020 toyota tacoma double cab(smallest/biggest toyota)
127.4" wheelbase, 212.3" length,75.2" width, 71.6" height

1990 Dodge W250 extended cab, long box(biggest you could get)
149" wheelbase,237.9" length,79.5" width, 69.8" height

2020 Dodge 2500 mega cab, long box(biggest truck ever)
160.5" wheelbase, 249.9" length, 79.5" width, 80.1" height

So a midsize truck has grown 13.3" in length, 8.7" in width, and 10.2" taller while a fullsize "truck" is now 12" longer, 10.3" taller while somehow staying the same width.

it gets interesting if you look at a extended cab short bed fullsize from 1990.
1990 dodge W250 extended cab short box
133" wheelbase,211.8 length,79.5" width, 69.8" height

A fullsize extended cab, short box truck from 1990 is  .5" shorter in length, 4.3" wider, and 1.8" lower than one of the smallest trucks you can buy in 2020.So virtually identical in my book.In 1990 we wanted smaller trucks that were easy to park,easy to load,etc while the manufacturers gave us a fullsize truck in 2020 while calling it a midsize with a fullsize price tag.The most expensive Dodge ram you could buy had an MSRP of $18,111 in 1990, while the cheapest "midsize" you can now buy is 26,050 for a stripped out rwd truck.18K in 1990 is equal to 35.6K in 2020.The cheapest you can get a base model dodge ram 2500 these days is 33K.

Trucks have gotten bigger and their price tags have exploded while we all wanted a smaller and cheaper vehicle.The manufactures have pulled one hell of a fast one over us.I guess I cant really call a 1990 w250 a fullsize anymore when its just as big as a midsize...I'm not offroading in a fullsize its a midsize...

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
If people wanted smaller, less capable trucks, they wouldn't be buying larger, far more capable trucks, they (we) buy them like crazy now.

It's not clever marketing, its what people want. Trucks are big business, actually THE business for American manufacturers, if they were producing trucks that people didn't want, this wouldn't happen.

Clever marketing, or skewed view of reality?

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I know I wish mine was a little more maneuverable. Damn thing almost needs a tug boat.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
RedneckInTraining said:
So a midsize truck has grown 13.3" in length, 8.7" in width, and 10.2" taller while a fullsize "truck" is now 12" longer, 10.3" taller while somehow staying the same width.
Trucks have gotten bigger and their price tags have exploded while we all wanted a smaller and cheaper vehicle.The manufactures have pulled one hell of a fast one over us.I guess I cant really call a 1990 w250 a fullsize anymore when its just as big as a midsize...I'm not offroading in a fullsize its a midsize...
'Midsize' was limited to the Dakota back in 1990. Since then, everybody else has adopted the midsize segment by eliminating their compact lines (Ranger, S10, Mazda B-series, Nissan 720/D21, etc).

All that's remained constant is each mfr has a 'smaller' alternative to their main/fullsize offering. The actual size of it doesn't matter. It just has to be roomier than the old version! :D And the ridiculous prices don't even matter, as long everyone qualifies for financing! :D

On that note... I'll drive my old trucks till I die. ;D

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,147 Posts
Look at the difference in size the Dodge's have become. At one time I used to think these 70's Dodge's were HUGE with that big flat hood and massive glove box that flips down but now when I pull up to a new one at a traffic light I look small. It's crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
Larger trucks are much better for hauling the fat chicks around and guess what?  There's a whole lotta more of them than there used to be...  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,147 Posts
I like my girls athletic. Nothing better than a tiny waist as she is - er - um, nevermind  😎

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
PowerWagonPete said:
Larger trucks are much better for hauling the fat chicks around and guess what? There's a whole lotta more of them than there used to be... :eek: :eek: :eek:
{gloating}

I like my women like I like my meat, a little fat around the edges, thick and juice! ;D

I really thing trucks suck anymore. What happened to 8 foot beds? you can only get them in a standard cab truck for the most part. :'(

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
mopar65pa said:
{gloating}

I like my women like I like my meat, a little fat around the edges, thick and juice! ;D

I really thing trucks suck anymore. What happened to 8 foot beds? you can only get them in a standard cab truck for the most part. :'(
Not true. Actually a standard cab anything is kinda rare. I see crew cab 8ft beds all the time. They're everywhere.

You wouldn't say they sucked either if you owned one.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
mopar65pa said:
{gloating}

Nothing wrong with a little wiggle and jiggle and occasionally some gristle, Tony, but if all that protoplasm suddenly shifts on you, it could send you careening out of control, sort of like driving a half-full tanker.

That's why modern truck beds are so small. If you try to stuff more than two in there to help keep the load secure, you'll exceed the capacity of the rear suspension. :D

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
KThaxton said:
Not true. Actually a standard cab anything is kinda rare. I see crew cab 8ft beds all the time. They're everywhere.

You wouldn't say they sucked either if you owned one.
Around here they are all short beds. I've been in a few new trucks. Dodge, Chebby, Furd. Too many stupid features.
can't back the truck up with the door open, twist knobs for gear shifters, all kinds of electronics that go bad. ::)

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
mopar65pa said:
twist knobs for gear shifters,
Does that really matter with an automatic?

I'll tell you this, my 2015 is by far the best truck I've owned. Beats milking a 30-40 year old truck that doesn't have electronics that might go bad some day.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
Lol, oh they go bad alright.  And after about 15 years, no one makes half of the modules you need to keep it running.

As for long beds, I think my Crew short bed is hard enough to park, I don't need the extra foot and a half to make it worse.  I do think it makes for a more balanced looking truck, but I can barely get mine in the driveway as it is.

·
Registered
52,873 Posts
Elwenil said:
Lol, oh they go bad alright. And after about 15 years, no one makes half of the modules you need to keep it running.

As for long beds, I think my Crew short bed is hard enough to park, I don't need the extra foot and a half to make it worse. I do think it makes for a more balanced looking truck, but I can barely get mine in the driveway as it is.
I have no problem parking my 93 club cab 8' bed. What is another foot. ;D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.