Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I'm getting a good deal on a set of 38" tsl's on wheels for my old 77 dodge ramcharger, how much lift will i need to clear those tires? I plan on putting on a 4" suspesion lift with a 3 inch body, will that be anough?

·
Registered
510 Posts
I would go with 4" lift and let the sawzall be your best friend for the rest of the clearance you need. Especially if you are going to wheel it. You want to keep your center of gravity low as possible.

My .02 worh.

Eric

·
Registered
93 Posts
My '77 has 36 X 12.50 Hummer tires. It still needs the fenders trimmed with 6" lift so I would say that you will definitely need to trim the fenders with 7" lift and 38's unless you never go offroad.

·
5,656 Posts
OkieRam440 said:
My '77 has 36 X 12.50 Hummer tires. It still needs the fenders trimmed with 6" lift so I would say that you will definitely need to trim the fenders with 7" lift and 38's unless you never go offroad.
Damn, my 77M880 has a 4 inch RCC lift in the front and thats it and it clears the 36's hummer tires fine.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
I have 6" suspension lift and trimmed fenders, modified hummer wheels (16.5x10) with 3.5" backspacing and 38x15.5 TSL's and super flexy suspension. Before I trimmed I hit, now I do not. Did I mention I have a flexy suspension :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, thanks for the help, I don't think i'm going to go through with the 38's the wheels didn't end up being the right lug pattern after all, I think i'm going to stick with the 35's, what do you recommend for a good tire, I do drive on the street and do alot of trial riding and muddin.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i have M/T baja cloaw radials and i lover them, seem to work great

·
Registered
55 Posts
35 x 12.50R 15 Nitto Terra Grappler tires work well on my '89 RamCharger with only a 4" Lift. They are cheap at Discount Tire, but if I had more money, I'd get the GoodYear MTR 35" tires.

·
5,141 Posts
I am running 3 inch body lift, 4 inch suspension, with 3 inches of shackle lift and drop hangers, and I run 38.5 SX's and I still hit in the front with some fender trimming, I wheel in rocks, so that is probably why I hit though. Most cases you would clear except under extreme flex

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I'm running an 8 inch skyjacker lift with 35 inch bfg m/t with no clearance problems at full flex and no fender trimming. A 3 inch body lift or a set of cutout flares should probably take care of the extra 3 inches of rubber if you still want the 38's. If you're going after 35's, i'm happy as hell with my BFG Mud-Terrain KM's. They seem to be a good all around tire off road and are road friendly when it comes to tread life and even wearing. I've heard good things about the Goodyear M/Ts as well from a couple people I've talked too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts