Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,791 Posts
Rust =/= Rot, but yeah there do appear to be a couple holes and when you can see a couple, there are usually 10X that waiting to be uncovered.  It's restorable, but it's also got a few issues, the 440 is obviously not original and they hacked the frame to get the low mount power steering pump to work.  Not something I would be eager to jump into but it might make an ok cruiser if the frame was fixed or swapped.  The frame would need to be swapped if I owned it, but so would the engine, transmission, 4WD system and axles, damn near the entire truck, lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Ramcharger 1974 - $2000 (McAlester)

First 6 month, FULL convertible 74 Ramcharger project. Really a nice build project. The truck is amazing for the lack of rust. Little behind the doors but unbelievably solid underneath and the floors are virtually perfect. Has some dents but nothing that is not workable. I don't think it would require any body panels, but i am not a body person. Even to rockers are solid. Has the hard top with it. Has a very good 440 big block with it, i pulled it apart and all it needs is to throw in a set of rings and bearings. No cylinder ridge and bearings show virtually no wear. Auto trans and transfer case in it as well. Still needs lots of work, but its all there except for a hood and those are pretty common and new ones available. All glass is good. Hard to find this model, Dodge didn't make a lot of them. Make a great Big Block, convertible cruise night vehicle. I wanted to to it, but just don't have time. I have done some disassembly since the pics, but all there. Clear AR title, ready to go. I have more pics than posted here, so ask. But best to come look.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Have ya been tempted to grab it for the doors and the roof ??
Throw the more common full doors back on it and sell it for what ya paid !

As a total project roller, would be a steal at about 1/2 the price. $1500 might work.

I've seen people hack K-frames because the didn't realize they could swap oil pans for something that fits so the frame hack doesn't really surprise me. Also looks pretty fixable. I think it would be a lot easier than fixing the body rot this mess doesn't have. Even if the floors and rockers have some holes in them, they have a lot less than anything ya see in this part of the world and they really look pretty solid. One head looks like it has a couple bad valves but that could just be carbon build up on the seat side of the valve.

Maybe the question is this: how much would ya have to sink in to it to make it a $12k ebay special like that guy in Nevada peddles. $3k for dents / paint. $3k or less to put motor together and rebuild trans. Maybe a grand for interior and sound system. Leaves about $4k for wheels, tires, exhaust, axles, suspension, etc and $1k in your pocket if ya can sell it high. Could work but I'd want a bigger margin for the effort.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.