Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as some of you know I had a line on a hemi engine from a CraigsList ad.
After several phone conversations with the guy I felt confident it was worth the 100 mile trip to check it out.  But we went prepared.  
We got there and talk to the guy for a bit.  Seem to be a really nice guy.  The engine was in the bed of his pickup truck so I check it out.  It wasn't complete like he said.  It was missing the water pump, all the pulleys, everything off the front.  The coil packs were gone.  This didn't line up with the "pulled from a wrecked Charger to transplant into a Challenger" story he told me.
I asked him if he minded if I pulled the oil pan off and looked at the bottom end; he said no, he didn't.  
I then noticed the bolt for the pan was loose.  Someone has already had the pan off.  He said "Yeah, I already checked all that out; it is fine"
Ok, so I grabbed the crank pulley and used some uber muscle and tried to turn it.  It wouldn't budge, either direction.  He said "You have to be a real he-man to turn the crank by hand!"  (BS)
My father in law said "I have an idea".  He fished around in the tools and pulled out a pry bar with a flat end, and tried to turn the flywheel by prying against the block.  WOULDN'T BUDGE.  
I looked at the guy and said "This engine is locked up.  It is shot."  
He said  "Hey, I didn't know that!  I didn't think of testing it.  I got ripped off when I bought it!"  
He got real defensive cause I guess he thought I might kick his arse.  He was a puny guy with a big beer gut.  
I was pissed, but I didn't show it.  I said "I hate that the engine I bad, have cash money was ready to buy if it was good".
Then he said, "Well, what will you give me for it as it sits?"  
I said, "Well, it is just a core engine.  Not worth more than $300"
He said  "Well, it isn't any good to me.  I will take $300 for it. "  
I said, "No thanks, I need a good running engine like you told me this was.  Sorry"  
At that point we grabbed the tools and loaded them up and left.  
After I thought about what had just gone down, it dawned on me what the real story was.  The engine was sitting an a fairly late model Dodge pickup.  It was strapped down.  All the accessories were removed, just like it had just been swapped out of a vehicle, and all the accessories stayed on the good engine.  I didn't go around and look at the front of the truck, but I would BET this was the original engine out of that truck that he ran out of oil or something and he had another installed, now he is trying to get some of his money back pay passing off that pig.  

I'm over Craigslist.  It is too costly to make road trips to look at engines or whatever to find out they are lying to you.  It costs them nothing, but costs you time and travel expenses.  

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Maybe I will feel different but I am on there trying to find an apartment in Newport, RI.  Since I need to find a place and move in 3 to 4 weeks it seems like the easiest option.

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
That's the same with buying anything used no matter where you get it from.  Sucks that you drove 100 miles, just good that you knew what you were looking for and could tell if it was any good or not.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
It goes both ways.  I tried a couple times to sell a set of 8 lug rims and tires and got nothing but the run around by at least 7 people.  Emailing and calling wanting to meet to look at them, then never showing and two weeks later would email again to see if I still had "them tars".  I tried selling a guitar that is easily worth $200 for $150 and got no response other than 3 separate idiots wanting to know if I would take $50.  Craigslist is just worthless all the way around.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
I think it has it's place. I would not drive 100 miles for a engine. I just assume the story ends like yours. I would even told him you had cash, around here you could end up in a ditch with your cell phone gone.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
My only gripe with it is people that want to sell stuff but are unwilling to ship. I have found parts I need in KS, MI, NM, and the people won't ship.  :-\ I'm not driving 800 miles for $100 parts.  ::)

·
Registered
766 Posts
I'm sorry that you ended up wasting your time and getting your hopes up on the Hemi though man, that really really sucks.

I've had pretty good luck both buying and selling things through CL. I think it might help to an extent that the area of the country I'm in is sparsely populated and the craigslist for it covers 25% of Michigan geographically and only 3% population-wise.

mopar65pa said:
My only gripe with it is people that want to sell stuff but are unwilling to ship. I have found parts I need in KS, MI, NM, and the people won't ship. :-\ I'm not driving 800 miles for $100 parts. ::)
I've been a little hesitant of this scenario myself although I haven't wanted anything shipped nor have had anyone want to ship me something. I suppose through a secure site like paypal you could get the assurance of getting what you're paying for. I think a lot of people see craigslist as an alternative to local classifieds and expect to deal with real people, maybe they're not accustomed to online transactions like through ebay.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
loosewheelbob said:
I think a lot of people see craigslist as an alternative to local classifieds and expect to deal with real people, maybe they're not accustomed to online transactions like through ebay.
Good point. ;D

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
found some deals and not so great deals on CL i found my jetta coupe on CL and it wasn't nearly as great as advertised but i knew how rare these cars are and bought it ...i will get my money out of it eventually but i plan on keeping it for now ...far engines go its pretty hit and miss at best and thoroughly checking it out is about all u can do if u cant hear it run not really worth what they are asking unless u got a build sheet but thats no guarantee the engine is any good either way buyer beware lol ..i found my lap top for a good deal on CL and i am still using it to this day ...i still peruse CL for parts and what not greeat place to find tires and rims though and stereo equipment ...and some other odds and ends

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
I have had good luck buying stuff on CL, but it seems like i am a minority that is willing to pay a fair price for what im after.  Been trying to sell my bike for around a month. Bottom line is 1800 so i listed it for 2k. I get offers anywhere from 500 to 1000 and when i say no i get talked at like im a crook. Then theres the people that think their garbage is worth gold in trade.  Fall is just not the time to sell a motorcycle i guess.

Craigslist isnt the problem, people are.  I had smilar experiences before craigslist existed. Back when you bought a "trad-n-post" at the carryout every week.

Anyone interested in an 06 ninja 250?

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Asymetric said:
Anyone interested in an 06 ninja 250?
Will ya take $500? ;D

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
we put a mint 2003 (only 72hrs use) kawasaki mule on there for $3500 about a month ago.  dude drove down from about 80miles away with a nice stack of fresh c-notes, offered $3200 and loaded it up.  we had a couple of douchebags offer $500 and one guy wanting to trade, but it worked out well.  bought a few things off there and all in all had good experiences.  unfortunately, @$$hats are breeding faster than rabbits these days and try to ruin it for the rest of us....

hope you find an engine! 

my $0.02.

matt

·
Founder
25,710 Posts
Craigslist is only as baq as you let it be, and vice versa.  You have to be smart, you can't get screwed by people posting stuff if you don't let them.

On everything I have ever had to travel to see I asked to see lots of pics of it first.  No matter what it was, wheels, springs, whatever.  That there would of probably rang some bells for you.

I also don't travel if anything is ify.  If you think it might be a waste of your time it probably will be.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I think it's all about who you run into... I've had pretty good luck. I got a year old Powerbook (a while ago) for $500 because the guy sympathized with me being in college and not being chock full of cash.

My fiancee bought her first car on there, a '77 MB 240D (I kind of talked her into it) and after $1,100 and $1,100 in parts it ran and drove like a dream. She drove it for a year and a half and the only issue was it threw a belt once. Then a guy at a Nissan dealer bought it from her for (guess how much!!) $1,100 and she got her Sentra. The guy still drives it to work!

The bad: once I had a cheapo console thing in my old van, got a new car and didn't need it. One of those $15 ones with 2 cupholders and a place to toss stuff. So I threw it up on CL in "Free Stuff" with a picture. I got about 50 emails about it, asking where I lived, what condition it was in, if I would trade stuff for it (WTF?) and I got tired of it, pulled the posting. Put down a new one with my address and no email saying I would leave it on the front step and whoever got it got it. Left it out there, went to work, and when I got back, it was gone. So if you want to do something like that, do try to imagine the endgame to the scenario.

My  {2cents}

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
I listed a bunch of my 2nd Generation D50 parts on craigslist (from several different trucks). Damn did those parts sell like crazy!  One guy drove several hours (one way) just to look at a 2.6L Engine and a Longbed and offered me $450 for the Engine, Bed & Radiator.. Gave me half down that day and i had the parts ready to go by that weekend. And then he paid the rest when we were loading the stuff in the back of his truck.

Another guy offered me $40 for the Bucket Seats in my PW50 Turbo Diesel...Seats that i told him i was throwing away (i was going to) so i could put the Stock Bucket Seats back in.  I got $40 for a set of Power Seats from a Chrysler Cirrus, and i hated those seats.. Win-Win situation  And those weren't even the parts he came to look at, he was admiring the PW50 and wanted to know if i wanted to sell the seats out of it  :p

He handed me $40 and i said "i'll go get a wrench" Yanked the seats out, disconnected the wiring at the fuse box and after he left i slapped the Stock Buckets in the diesel.

Of course i got the occasional "yanking your chain" type emails where they apparently had no interest in the parts  :-\

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ive had the best luck of anybody I know on craigslist, I got my RC on there with a built 360 with receipets for $2200 of machine work for 1000 bucks, a set of 3 week old 37x12.50 Goodyear MTR on Mickey Thompson wheels for 800 bucks two weeks ago, and got my RM400 on there too.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is the guys CL ad. Everything in this ad is a 100% lie.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/pts/1950419293.html

I have had great luck selling on CL. Because what I was selling was 100% what I said it was.
I always got the exact price I was asking because I price things more than fair.
Once I added "will also trade for MoPar parts" had a guy show up with a bunch of chevy parts. ::)
Had to run ass clowns off before. Had an idiot show up and offer me HALF what I was asking for my NICE Jeep ZJ. He started waving a wad if bills around and saying "$1500 right now! CASH!!! CASH MONEY!!! I'm talking CASH!!!"
Like I was going to start trembling like a crack head needing a fix because he was waving around cash. I told him to get lost.
The guy that scored that ZJ check it out and knew it was a deal at my asking price and paid me what I was asking without insulting me or jumping around yelling "CASH!!"

As far as BUYING on CL, it has been hit and miss. Bought some shop equipment and stuff like that. But vehicles or parts, been a waste of time.
Saw an ad for a pop top RC once. Emailed the sell for some pictures. Sent me several, it actually looked pretty good. Drove up to the country to look at it. One side looked good. The other side was wiped out in a wreck. Gee, he never bothered to mention that.
Was hunting a 5.2L Magnum, found a guy that had one in a wrecked 98 ZJ, sent picture, sent a picture of the odometer mileage. Drove all the way out there, he said, "Well, decided not to sell that one, but you can have the one out of this one. Mileage was over 200K. ::)
Forget it Crooks List.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
The "cash money" thing always tripped me out.  Who in their right mind would take a check in this day and age?  Of course you are going to pay me cash because that's all I'm going to take!  What do they think, I take Visa?  Morons.  ;D

·
Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Elwenil said:
It goes both ways. I tried a couple times to sell a set of 8 lug rims and tires and got nothing but the run around by at least 7 people. Emailing and calling wanting to meet to look at them, then never showing and two weeks later would email again to see if I still had "them tars". I tried selling a guitar that is easily worth $200 for $150 and got no response other than 3 separate idiots wanting to know if I would take $50. Craigslist is just worthless all the way around.
i was able to sell a $50 guitar for $350 a while back. sounds like we have opposite stories! ;D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Ole Red said:
i was able to sell a $50 guitar for $350 a while back. sounds like we have opposite stories! ;D
I'll have to be careful of running into you on CL. Sounds like you might be the type that can sell ice cubes to Eskimos! ;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.