Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
The Chrysler we knew and loved is already dead.  Fiat playing puppet with it's corpse has absolutely no meaning for me.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing much surprises me anymore but if they merged with GM that definitely would be grounds for suicide  ;D
maybe they will bring the fiat toro truck over here to compete with ford since they will be focused on SUV and trucks now...now that's a mans truck there. I think it might hold a 5lb bag of dirt in the back

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
It happened with Plymouth and Dodge trucks... I still don't get that one.
That was actually a beneficial move on the truck side. Things have only improved since Ram became its own brand.

Last I heard, only Ram and Jeep were profitable within FCA, but they wanted to continue with the Dodge Challenger ....and another Dodge branded car or two and stop producing other cars under either the Dodge and Chrysler names.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
I thought Chrysler would be dead in a few years when I first heard Daimler-Benz was buying out Chrysler. I was wrong. Daimler gave new life to Mopar, and we got a new generation of cars and trucks to be proud of, and could carry the Mopar banner thru the next generation. That unfortunately wouldn't last and I was saddened to hear that Chrysler was sold off into private equity. (Which is usually a death sentence for failing corps)  Then Chrysler was eventually bought by "Fix-It-Again-Tony"

FIAT??? Really???! At least Mercedes injected luxury and performance into our ailing Chryslers. And we benefitted immensely, sorry to have seen them go.

And what could Fiat inject into Chrysler?? They don't know their way around a real V8, they offer no luxury, they don't even offer midsize cars…or any trucks! Heck! Fiat only produces cars for eco-friendly tree lickers, gender neutral sushi eaters, and light loafer mascara wearing metro men! None of those sissy Fiat people even know how to drive something with good ol American V8 power under the hood! (Most-if-not-all have never opened a hood before! SHEESH!!!!) And Fiat was going to try and sell Mopars alongside their junk?? What could we ever expect from this alliance! It's like marrying the hot trophy wife from Italy that likes nothing you like, hates NASCAR, doesn't stand for the national anthem, eats out with her friends every evening, makes you sleep in the guest room alone, and spends all your money on gifts for herself and her lap dog! No thanks!!! I'd rather be lonely, and dating Mary Palmer, but I'll still be driving a Hemi.

I believe that the only reason Fiat even bought Chrysler to begin with, was to acquire Chrysler's extensive dealership network, so they could sell their crap to the American public. Remember, Fiat left the American market decades ago and sold off their old dealerships. But with Chrysler, they had a pretty vast network already in place. All they had to do was kill off Chrysler and take over.

It's sad. I hate to see the ol lady go the way of Plymouth, Desoto, Imperial, AMC, Studebaker, Hudson, Packard and many others. What would be nice is if Mopar could somehow cleave out the Fiat tumor and become an independent again. Maybe they use the same model that was successful for Harley-Davidson and build from there.

As for GM buying out Chrysler…No, never! I know that the panty wearing president of FCA would like to merge with GM and he won't listen to the Chrysler loyal…And thats why it would be very nice to cut ties. But I fear that before that happens, Tony will run her into the ground.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
30,041 Posts
Also last I heard, GM had no interest in a merger with FCA....Sergio Marchionne was the only one interested in that.  He kinda has a reputation in the Auto industry as a bombastic twit.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
flyfish said:
the Fullback somewhat reminds me of the tacoma...I think it's the lines on the back of the cab
So you wanna prove me wrong eh??

1) The Fullback (top pic) isn't made by Fiat. It's a rebadged Mitsubishi L200 and it isn't being marketed in the US.

2) The Toro in the bottom pic (Not to be confused with a lawn mower) is a cross-over, (It's basically a car with a bed) uses front wheel drive architecture and it too isn't being marketed in the US

So no, Fiat doesn't offer a truck…unless you want to count that ugly rebadged front wheel drive Pro Master van thats selling under the Ram name

Ed

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Elwenil said:
The Chrysler we knew and loved is already dead. Fiat playing puppet with it's corpse has absolutely no meaning for me.
RXT said:
I thought Chrysler would be dead in a few years when I first heard Daimler-Benz was buying out Chrysler. I was wrong. Daimler gave new life to Mopar, and we got a new generation of cars and trucks to be proud of, and could carry the Mopar banner thru the next generation.

... At least Mercedes injected luxury and performance into our ailing Chryslers. And we benefitted immensely, sorry to have seen them go.
That about sums it up for me too.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I had no idea about the rebadged fullback and only just yesterday found out that it existed. I was just saying they might bring some of that junk over here (truck or crossover) to the states...rebadged or something similar. I don't think either one of us will be going out to purchase one  ;D

·
Registered
799 Posts
RXT said:
I thought Chrysler would be dead in a few years when I first heard Daimler-Benz was buying out Chrysler. I was wrong. Daimler gave new life to Mopar, and we got a new generation of cars and trucks to be proud of, and could carry the Mopar banner thru the next generation. That unfortunately wouldn't last and I was saddened to hear that Chrysler was sold off into private equity. (Which is usually a death sentence for failing corps) Then Chrysler was eventually bought by "Fix-It-Again-Tony"

FIAT??? Really???! At least Mercedes injected luxury and performance into our ailing Chryslers. And we benefitted immensely, sorry to have seen them go.

And what could Fiat inject into Chrysler?? They don't know their way around a real V8, they offer no luxury, they don't even offer midsize cars…or any trucks! Heck! Fiat only produces cars for eco-friendly tree lickers, gender neutral sushi eaters, and light loafer mascara wearing metro men! None of those sissy Fiat people even know how to drive something with good ol American V8 power under the hood! (Most-if-not-all have never opened a hood before! SHEESH!!!!) And Fiat was going to try and sell Mopars alongside their junk?? What could we ever expect from this alliance! It's like marrying the hot trophy wife from Italy that likes nothing you like, hates NASCAR, doesn't stand for the national anthem, eats out with her friends every evening, makes you sleep in the guest room alone, and spends all your money on gifts for herself and her lap dog! No thanks!!! I'd rather be lonely, and dating Mary Palmer, but I'll still be driving a Hemi.

I believe that the only reason Fiat even bought Chrysler to begin with, was to acquire Chrysler's extensive dealership network, so they could sell their crap to the American public. Remember, Fiat left the American market decades ago and sold off their old dealerships. But with Chrysler, they had a pretty vast network already in place. All they had to do was kill off Chrysler and take over.

It's sad. I hate to see the ol lady go the way of Plymouth, Desoto, Imperial, AMC, Studebaker, Hudson, Packard and many others. What would be nice is if Mopar could somehow cleave out the Fiat tumor and become an independent again. Maybe they use the same model that was successful for Harley-Davidson and build from there.

As for GM buying out Chrysler…No, never! I know that the panty wearing president of FCA would like to merge with GM and he won't listen to the Chrysler loyal…And thats why it would be very nice to cut ties. But I fear that before that happens, Tony will run her into the ground.

Ed
I don't know how many people who lived in Auburn Hills Michigan would agree with you about Benz buying Chrysler and saving them. I grew up there during the "take-over" and there was a lot angry Chrysler workers. They said that Benz didn't care what they thought etc. Think of it in 1998, Chrysler had a lot of decent vehicles before the "take-over". I know the head guy at Chrysler sold them and bolted out of there. So maybe there was some good in Benz but...........

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
flyfish said:
no I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I had no idea about the rebadged fullback and only just yesterday found out that it existed. I was just saying they might bring some of that junk over here (truck or crossover) to the states...rebadged or something similar. I don't think either one of us will be going out to purchase one ;D
I'm kidding of course. :D

At present, I don't think Fiat is gonna worry about bringing the Fullback or Toro to the US market when they already own Ram.

·
Registered
8,314 Posts
86w250 said:
I don't know how many people who lived in Auburn Hills Michigan would agree with you about Benz buying Chrysler and saving them. I grew up there during the "take-over" and there was a lot angry Chrysler workers. They said that Benz didn't care what they thought etc. Think of it in 1998, Chrysler had a lot of decent vehicles before the "take-over". I know the head guy at Chrysler sold them and bolted out of there. So maybe there was some good in Benz but...........
The only good thing that came from the Benz takeover was their transmission.
They raped Chrysler when they left. And left it for dead.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
The only good thing that came from the Benz takeover was their transmission.
I'll vouch for the transmission... I get to put a lot of miles on the gf's Jeep with the NSG370 6-speed. Nice shifting, and good ratios.

They re-invented Chrysler's RWD car platform using Mercedes sedan engineering... 300 and Magnum for sure, probably further spinoffs into the Charger and Challenger also.

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
So what was the announcement?  All I can find is they are going to bring the TRX thing in 2022 and they are bringing back a mid size pickup.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, I didn't see a whole lot of changes announced here for the U.S...or the end of Chrysler.
I was thinking...how do you end a car brand with inventory...gradually I'm guessing, but that's been going on awhile now. If I knew a brand was going under I would look elsewhere when purchasing a car. Maybe that was part of the reason they didn't talk about Chrysler choosing instead to focus on topics such as electric vehicles by Maserrati to compete with Tesla. It gives the appearance and focus on the future in an effort to sell the shareholders on the idea they will remain competitive. Maybe they will make the announcement of the end of Chrysler when the last minivan is sold? Who knows. I don't.

"You will see that we concentrate our brand messages today on Jeep, Ram, Maserati and Alfa Romeo," Marchionne said in opening remarks. "These brands comprise the most significant portion of our revenues and our earnings."
On the product horizon, Jeep is promising 14 electrified vehicles in the next five years, including four battery-electric options. By 2021, every Jeep nameplate will have an electrification option.
Jeep is also going to add mobility options starting next year, with a planned "borrowing" experiment in the Northeast that would allow customers to "use coins to borrow products." Jeep will also be part of an FCA subscription service launching next year.
Ram planners hope a new performance pickup called the TRX - and a yet-unnamed new midsize pickup to compete against the Chevrolet Colorado and Ford Ranger - will boost annual global sales for Ram to 1 million by 2022.

They are going to phase out all diesel cars/trucks in Europe by 2021

·
Registered
588 Posts
Let's all write a letter to Roger Penske and urge, implore,, beg, grovel and whatever it takes for him to buy Chrysler. He could make it work. I, as a long time time (60 years) Chrysler lover, cannot fathom why a company with such a good product cannot survive in this era. For years and years "we" lead the industry in engineering and product innovation.Truthfully, I think that  "we" had people at the helm who were not MOPAR people, much less car people    "Bad transmissions"  was the talk of the car testing magazines for a long time. IF A PRODUCT IS BAD YOU FIX IT in engineering and repair it at the dealership. This is the company that made the world's best transmission in the late 50s. Chrysler Engineers didn't suddenly lose their smarts. What wud you do if you became the BIG CHIEF at Chrysler(forget FCA)?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.