Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to put chrome bumpers on the front and rear. the front is no problem, but i cant find the rear. i want the regular bumper and brackets, not a step bumper. this is on an '85 full size truck. i have seen other years and i do believe the brackets would fit. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
84 through 93? oughta be the same.
74 through 83 are close.

Just keep scrounging the JY, you'll find some.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found chrome bumpers for 86-93. I'm looking for an '85. Does anyone know what may be the difference between the 85 and 86? (not a step bumper)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm looking to do the same thing on my 88d100, chrome smooth front bumper and non-step smooth rear bumper. I'm going to tuck the trailer hitch up higher so it gomes out through the license plate too like on roll panned trucks with a flip down plate kit. Again the front is no problem but where did you find the rear? what about the brackets for the rear? I would rather buy aftermarket than pay eom prices plus the dodge dealerships around me are jerkoffs and don't want to look up parts for the older vehicles.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Baggedram or remsgem, I might have one for you, e-mail me and I will try to get a pic tommorow. Gonna have to come get it tho. ;D And welcome to RCC!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
my '84 RC has a smooth chrome rear. I wouldn't miss it - I'll check it's condition thoroughly if you're interested (I think it's solid, but I know the front had two rust spots, one of which was just starting to come through when I pulled it off). I do know it's completely straight.

Make me an offer. I'm willing to ship or meet. I drive around a lot, so it might just be a matter of time before I get down your way or at least close.

·
Registered
10,862 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Jc whitney i think has chrome bumpers and I know their shipping is really decent

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I only found one source for a rear chrome bumper, it was Bumper Boyz in LA, California. The rear is from a Li'l Red Express and was very expensive. So, I decided to prep and paint my chrome one. Just finished it yesterday and put it on today. Came out great. Now, I think that I will use a steel or used chrome and paint it also to match the truck. Thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Seems that I have finally found a rear bumper (non-step). It is on a Ramcharger from the late 80's. I'm not sure of the year though. Would it fit a '85 pickup? I would thing that the length would be good. Would the brackets match up? I'm more concerned about the bumper fitting than the brackets though. They can always be made or adapted.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I believe the frames are the same on the trucks as on the RC's (The RC being a little shorter) So the bumper off of a late 80's should bolt right up. (Somebody corect me if I'm wrong)

·
Registered
10,862 Posts
Check the PA or VA boards and ask Ribcracker if he has the one I gave him. It will need some work on the mounts, but iirc it was in good shape.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
i'm in the process of cutting the ends off my rear bumper (non step) to fit between the box sides for the roll pan look-,just wish i had a gooder bumper to work with,but i'm happy with the results so far.i scored a minty chrome front bumper from a 79 but i'm afraid to put it on for fear of destroying it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found a rear chrome bumper for $25 and brackets for $3. Price was right. There is some rust but I will be painting them anyhow. Just got back from INdy 500, so now time to start working on it. Thanks to all for the info.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
i had a big step bumper and got the smoothy from an 82/83 (forgot) 3/4 ton pickup. brackets didnt quite match but i made it work. and it was free. a little tweeked but i dont care. it matches the front which is kinda tweeked. ill be running front and rear roll pans eventually with big ass 2x3 box steel "hidden bumper" up front and "hidden hitch" in the back, ill be plenty fine.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
It is only my opinion but chrome bumpers on an offroad truck are just... well.. PLAIN UGLY lool the first thing I do when I get a truck is hack them off and build something that doesn't bend when you fart on it and isn't to pretty to move small trees, animals, and the occasional Jehova's witness outta my driveway. out of the way ;D
mid_evil_thymz

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This truck is strictly street drive. It is 2 wd and I have too much money invested. It belonged to my dad, so I am keeping it, making it a custom , and attend car cruises.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts